Dealing with a bad gas leak in my boat

Notices

Dealing with a bad gas leak in my boat

Old 07-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dealing with a bad gas leak in my boat

Last year I had what I thought was a gas leak out of my fuel pump. I could never find any gas at the pump but after a run I could see a line that looked to me like it had to be caused from gas on the bilge. I would always check around the pump as that is the location that the streak started under. I never found anything. This year when I got the boat out of storage I checked again and again nothing and I checked after my first run of the season.

Well today I get in from about a 30 mile run and hit the bilge pump. I see gas in the water as it hits the lake. I stop pumping and go back to check things out. There is a lot of fluid at the fitting that goes up to the filter. Nothing under the pump.

So I have a two fold question:
1) What are the chances that I will be lucky enough to just find a loose fitting (it was getting dark so I did not have time to check).

2) My boat is in the water still at my dock. What do I NEED to do to try and assure that I do not become a late 4th of july fireworks show? Is there anything that I can dump into the bilge that will help with the fumes? I am assuming because I probably have a good amount of gas in the bilge that running the blowers is not a fix because the fumes will just keep coming?

Thanks
Jon
Old 07-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Last year I had what I thought was a gas leak out of my fuel pump. I could never find any gas at the pump but after a run I could see a line that looked to me like it had to be caused from gas on the bilge. I would always check around the pump as that is the location that the streak started under. I never found anything. This year when I got the boat out of storage I checked again and again nothing and I checked after my first run of the season.

Well today I get in from about a 30 mile run and hit the bilge pump. I see gas in the water as it hits the lake. I stop pumping and go back to check things out. There is a lot of fluid at the fitting that goes up to the filter. Nothing under the pump.

1) What are the chances that I will be lucky enough to just find a loose fitting (it was getting dark so I did not have time to check).

2) My boat is in the water still at my dock. What do I NEED to do to try and assure that I do not become a late 4th of july fireworks show? Is there anything that I can dump into the bilge that will help with the fumes? I am assuming because I probably have a good amount of gas in the bilge that running the blowers is not a fix because the fumes will just keep coming?

Thanks
Jon
Jon be careful this is a bomb leave the hatch open but I am concerned about the electric hatch motor.Maybe others will chime in but I am thinking running a hose to flush it out.Are you on a lift can you just pull the plugs?
Old 07-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
Jon be careful this is a bomb leave the hatch open but I am concerned about the electric hatch motor.Maybe others will chime in but I am thinking running a hose to flush it out.Are you on a lift can you just pull the plugs?
I will be bringing a 2x4 down for the hatch. I can just lift it with out the motor. It is heavy but can be done.

Not on a lift.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn

Thanks
Jon
Manually lift your hatch, and use a hand pump, nothing electric, to get all the fluid out, empty it into old gas cans when thats all clean, use some oil absorbing pads to get it all up, then dawn soap and water, in the bilge, flush it a few times, and you should be good to find where that leak is comming from.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:09 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

That is a nightmare. Are yout talking gas on the surface of the bilge water, or inches of gas?

Spk has it right as to removing it.

Biggest problem is getting rid of the stuff from the bilge - legally.

Last edited by Mbam; 07-06-2010 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:25 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbam
That is a nightmare. Are yout talking gas on the surface of the bilge water, or inches of gas?

Spk has it right as to removing it.

Biggest problem is getting rid of the stuff from the bilge - legally.
Marc, getting rid of it is easy. Pour it in a bucket and let it sit for several hours. Then light it and burn off the gas which will be on top.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:51 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Thanks guys. Today I hope to fix the leak. Then deal with the gas. I am not sure how much gas is in there, I am sure a bit of it went out into the lake with the bilge pump. I am guessing it was just a surface thing at this point but I assume it does not matter surface vs. couple inches as it is causing fumes? Just going to keep my son and wife away from the boat while I fix it and clean it up and replace my blower hoses that are not in the best of shape before using the boat and pump it out like you guys suggest tell I feel comfortable. Once I get it started I will pull the boat and really clean it out with the plug out.

Thanks
Jon