Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Who makes the best pontoon boats? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/234148-who-makes-best-pontoon-boats.html)

Davidmnc 07-08-2010 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Too Stroked (Post 3154105)
CcanDo,
Has anybody ever looked at lifting strakes and / or steps for a tooner to gain more speed by reducing drag? Just a weird thought ...

Steps on a toon, now that would be wild!

SVL-WARLOCK 07-08-2010 03:14 PM

Bentley is made by encore boats. They also make the elite and the top of the model the prestiege. If you really want to purchase a bentley, let me know. I can guarantee that you cant buy it any where else cheaper. Wish you the best. Andy

VtSteve 07-08-2010 03:38 PM

I'd have to say this one is my favorite.

http://www.boattest.com/boats/Boat_video.aspx?ID=764

But for a wet bar, grille, etc... this Party Craft is my favorite layout of all time in a toon.

http://www.iboats.com/Parti_Kraft_ce...r/nb/moi121299

CcanDo 07-08-2010 04:54 PM

CcanDo,
In your bag of computer modeling software, do you have anything for hydrodynamics? That's a class that wasn't offered where I went to college, but I have this weird thought. Pontoon boats obviously weren't built for speed and I don't think anbody's going to argue that. But a tube is a pretty lousy hydrodynamic shape as far as I know. Has anybody ever looked at lifting strakes and / or steps for a tooner to gain more speed by reducing drag? Just a weird thought ...

No, we don't have that software.

The wetted surface on a typical tube is usually wet from one end to the other. In fact, some are deeper in front.

Bennington has installed lifting strakes as an option.

The trim tab would have served not only to provide clean prop water, but, a controllable step as well. Purpose also, would definitely influence CG , ride attitude and wetted surface. Theory includes the ability to lengthen/shorten tube length by raising/lowering the tab. The single trim tab would would be designed into the center tube ahead of transom.

Center tube is 14" longer than the other two. Therefore, a 30" trim tab (hinge point 30" from transom) should be expected to do a lot of work. Especially, subject to overhung load.

ImaPoser 07-08-2010 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by CcanDo (Post 3152931)
We have a 2575 RLI Bennington and it is a nice boat...

Wow. Lots of info there. I have a new 2550 RCW with a 250 verado on it. I'm still messing around with the dealer getting everything to work right and have yet to do any performance testing yet. I hope I don't see the need to go to the extent you did for more performance.
I'd be curious to hear more about the trailer as I think the one that I got with it is undersized.

jmeng 07-08-2010 06:05 PM

CcanDo,
In your bag of computer modeling software, do you have anything for hydrodynamics? That's a class that wasn't offered where I went to college, but I have this weird thought. Pontoon boats obviously weren't built for speed and I don't think anbody's going to argue that. But a tube is a pretty lousy hydrodynamic shape as far as I know. Has anybody ever looked at lifting strakes and / or steps for a tooner to gain more speed by reducing drag? Just a weird thought ...

Many brands offer lifting strakes as an option. Seems to make a big difference as long as you have enough horsepower.

dkwestern 07-08-2010 06:22 PM

CcanDo,

I was thinking they should raise the middle toon on a tritoon to reduce drag at speed, but provide flotation at rest/slow speeds. kinda like a centerpod on west coast cats (DCB, Eliminator)

CcanDo 07-08-2010 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by ImaPoser (Post 3154277)
Wow. Lots of info there. I have a new 2550 RCW with a 250 verado on it. I'm still messing around with the dealer getting everything to work right and have yet to do any performance testing yet. I hope I don't see the need to go to the extent you did for more performance.
I'd be curious to hear more about the trailer as I think the one that I got with it is undersized.

Congratulations on your new boat !

We'll take a couple pictures of the boat on the trailer and post them in the next few days.

Performance was just some part of our objective. However, it may sound like performance or speed was the total mission.

No, the boat didn't feel right, ride as expected, run as advertised and the *@#^ skag was dragging the bottom when on the trailer and in the water.

Now it is a different boat, feels right, rides right and pride of ownership is expediential to the speed. And, the *@#^ skag is where it belongs....up off the bottom.

The dealers and said trailer manufacturer spoken with don't hold pontoon boats in highest esteem. They expect the trailer to get the boat to the local lake where it will live, at least for the season. Then, perhaps, haul it home at the end of the season or not, period.

We wanted a trailer capable of safely going to Lake Of The Ozarks for the Shoot Out or where ever. Plus, it needed to be user friendly to load. (As you know, a pontoon boat can be a hand full to load in a little cross wind.) And, the trailer needed to be somewhat aesthetically acceptable.

Structurally we finally got there, though it does have a crown in the frame rails. Loading is acceptable by design spreading bunk spacing for the center tube and 3 EA. 2" schedule 40 pipe for guides/side. Pipe is covered with 2" ID/6" OD, covered dock bumpers. Pipe was cut to length with the front being shortest and back being tallest. Purpose, to allow the bow to clear without interference.

Big Time 08-20-2010 10:49 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Speaking of pontoons....the family just picked this up a Mahopac Marine yesterday. It is a Tohoe Sierra Sandbar...LOADED! Tri toon, with the rough water package and a 200 merc, should have no problem getting us to the party on time! (or maybe we are bringing the party....?) I was skeptical, but I told my dad that if you had to get a 'toon, I was glad he got this one!

E Colby 08-20-2010 10:52 AM

I work at Moose Landing Marina in Naples, ME. We are one of Godfrey Marine's top-selling dealers and Godfrey is the Number One manufacturer of pontoon boats in the industry. They manufacture Sweetwater, Aqua Patio, San Pan and Parti Kraft pontoons. They're all great boats, so even if you can't buy one from us, buy one from one of our other dealers.