Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Which was better SBI Miami/APBA Daytona (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/23442-better-sbi-miami-apba-daytona.html)

BruceK 05-03-2002 04:14 PM

I'm just glad I type too slow to respond to any of this when I wanted to. Everyone has valid points and hopefully they will be acted upon sometime in the near future. Boat racing is definitely a sport that will endure someday. Hopefully sooner then later. For me, I need to see what these poker runs are all about now.

Boat Girl 05-03-2002 04:23 PM

T2X- I cant picture you being unenthusiastic about anything...I know you...well kinda...I think, you were the guy in the F-16 helmet at last years Skater Fest...Right...LOL :D

Ruben Bermudez 05-03-2002 06:17 PM

don't buy your way in?

Dammit, another legend bites the dust...
T-man, ya just HAD to PROVE you're obsolete.
EVERY major wanna-be-on-TV motorsports
has drivers whose talents have been "overshadowed"
by others with big sponsors dollars to bring to the table.

(for $25,000, the drivers seat of a world championship boat was available this year...)

See, Ya'll have this idea TV is gonna turn boatracing into NASCAR,
with the corresponding increase in dollars for everybody.

***eddaboutit.

Everybody has a CAR in the driveway,
only an elite few have a BOAT.
Get the picture?

Television will save boatracing
the same way it saved ROLLER DERBY.

Now, the ONLY things a promoter can do for the likes of RACING...
1. Put on races
2. Don't make the equipment obsolete every time a motor manufacturer throws a few dollars his way.

Ruben Bermudez 05-03-2002 06:20 PM

...and furthermore

Boatracing will be saved when ya'll get your thousands-of-postings-on-OSO butts off the computer and either BUILD A BOAT, or HELP SOMEBODY ELSE RACE THEIRS.

GET INVOLVED.
You're either part of the SOLUTION,
or part of the PROBLEM.

Ruben Bermudez 05-03-2002 06:41 PM

uh-huh

The part you're not SEEING are the THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of street stock, Enduro, and run-what-ya-brungers practicing their craft on dirt and macadam all over America.

Support racing BY ACTUALLY RACING...what a concept.

"The great architect of the universe has not invented
a substitute for results and victory."

T2x 05-03-2002 06:51 PM

Reminds me of a comedian's line.....which I am paraphrasing......

"If it wasn't for Boat Racing... I would not be Racing Boats today."

Ruben: an awful lot of people on OSO have paid their dues........ you're certainly not the only one who has turned wrenches at midnite or towed boats cross country. While I admire your reverse elitism........... and gumption...... are you mad at us....... or the thankless tasks you continually refer to?

There is no doubt that without guys like you..... The sport would not get far....... and........... not enough credit is given to the supporting cast, be it crew member, scorers, divers, or whatever. But even in the NHRA, SuperCross, and even Unlimited hydro arenas...most of them get paid..... and that can happen in Offshore.

If you're interested, we used to get appearance money for some of the Tunnel Boat races....... which I gave to my crew.

Good luck with the prop shaft grease..... but watch the burrs they cut lika B_____H.

T2x

Ruben Bermudez 05-03-2002 07:03 PM

uh-uh

Okay...what, leave out a few smilies, and I'm angry...LOL!

Picture me laughing and typing...and laughing and wrenching.

There ARE NO "thankless" tasks, T-man.

The GOOD crewmen I've met all had a couplea character traits that set them apart from all the rest.

They felt they had no one to impress but themselves.

...and they took abuse like a Cuban Welterweight.

Hell, I ain't impressed with myself yet.

But at least I'm WORKIN' on it.

:D :D :D :D

Goodfella 05-03-2002 10:09 PM

T2x,
Save the resume, I know who you are and your vast knowledge of the sport I just think that you are wasting valuable knowledge that could help out either party. I remember seeing you on ESPN commmentating when I was still in high School. back in the early 80's. :D

Kent Perroux 05-03-2002 10:40 PM

Ruben Bermudez, I agree with you 100%. If you want to support racing, race! or help someone race. I have had more enjoyment helping get a broken boat ready to race, then see our handiwork make it across the finish line for a checkerd flag, than I ever have sitting on shore or in a boat watching the race.

Tx2, you have some good points about building a following. I agree with that. Concentrating on some (large number) classes will also help build rivalies and develop a fan following. Like Drambui and Alcone. I do, however take exception to your recommendation for new leaders, or a combination of the two. I'll explain why:

1) SBI and APBA attract different markets even though some people race both. I enjoy both. SBI is more of a "tractor pull" and APBA is more closely compared to SCCA racing. When I say Tracktor Pull, I mean that as a compliment. Tractor pulls have basically unlimited horsepower. The rules are more flexible. APBA has many classes, not for the spectators, but for the racers. Also for the racers, the rules are are such to minimize the "Money Advantage". The Dyno deal with SBI is an inexpensive way to control some cheating, but you have been around racing. There are many ways to make an engine show the same horsepower on the dyno but have to ability to get there quicker. It only costs money. Unless SBI matched completely their rules, sealed engines and had third party inspectors for both groups, it will never work.

2) Why do you keep complaining about the leaderships? I don't know Carbonel, but for what he does, I think he runs a good program for the superboats, but I think his program for the Factory classes is a little slated towards the Fountain Fleet by letting the faster canopy F2 boats run in competition with the non-canopy; That is not fair to the non-canopy owners (IMO).

Also, (TX2), you keep badgering about replacing the leadership of APBA Offshore. Why? Are you a shareholder of that company? I do not think you nor anyone else, with the exception of the sharehoulders have that priviledge. APBA Offshore is not just a race club anymore. It is a corporation with investors that want a return on their investment.

I do not doubt the personality qualities of your proposal; I only know him from the board. Let me enlighen you; It is not personality that makes a company sucessful. (Unless you are running for President of the US - IE B.C.) Let me re-iterate TREADWELL's comments. APBA has never had the level of competition that is has under the present leadership. Gene Whip was a great person. And yes, he started several programs, but APBA Offshore did not grow until the present leadership took the reigns to control "Winning with Money". I believe Gene Whip would be very impressed if he could see the level of competition today in all of the major classes.

My Predictoins:
1) SBI will excel in the Superboats. The factory classes will remain, but in small numbers; primarily dominated by the Title Sponsors' boats.

2) APBA will excel in competitive racing in several classes. No specific manufacturer will dominate any class. (With the exception of the Drambui Skater. I hear Johm Tomlinson has a sleeping bag stuffed under his seat.

ScreaminDemon 05-03-2002 11:40 PM

Kent Perroux - you obviously did not "understand" the comments by T2x...please go back and re-read them, and you should then answer your own questions and understand what he is saying.