Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Dose Anyone Know What The Speed Record For A Single Vee Bottom Is (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/234503-dose-anyone-know-what-speed-record-single-vee-bottom.html)

jeff1000man 07-12-2010 10:49 AM

Kilo only, or TAF drag boats as well?? Those things really move.

MANITIE 07-12-2010 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by jeff1000man (Post 3156253)
Kilo only, or TAF drag boats as well?? Those things really move.

Kilo's....that were sanctioned....I know those drag boats are fast...

We need to look at a actual sanction event with a offical kilo record thats been documented....

MANITIE 07-12-2010 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Wazzup Racing (Post 3156252)
We have a 21 Challenger runs 116

Smitty bring that thing out and join us in class 5....

What hp did you guys run and what drive...

MANITIE 07-12-2010 12:44 PM

I was reading on the Howard web site that they ran a 1100 hp engine and got it to run 110...that seems to be a lot of HP for that speed....

I'm still trying to find out what HP was run to get it to 122....

Mastercraft240 07-12-2010 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by MANITIE (Post 3156351)
I was reading on the Howard web site that they ran a 1100 hp engine and got it to run 110...that seems to be a lot of HP for that speed....

Are you trying to do this in the 27 activator?

I remember JC saying his boat did around 110 as well.

MANITIE 07-12-2010 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by mastercraft240 (Post 3156361)
Are you trying to do this in the 27 activator?

I remember JC saying his boat did around 110 as well.

Nope....we know we will be able to get to 100 with the Ilmor 625 in the 27..but not the 125+
But we are getting ready to start a new build for next year...and one of the things that the C.G. brought up was long distance speed runs which we will be attempting next year and one this year in the Activator....but was asked yesterday if we went with a sinlge for the distance speed runs ,if there was a speed record we could also attempt...which I told them I would look into and how much we would need to do it...

fantastixvoyage 07-12-2010 01:29 PM

since we're talking speed runs is there a place to find the top speeds for the LOTO shootout? Seems easy enough to find the last years # but not the class records.

If the CG wants exposure for top speed runs that would be another avenue to do it.

MANITIE 07-12-2010 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage (Post 3156391)
since we're talking speed runs is there a place to find the top speeds for the LOTO shootout? Seems easy enough to find the last years # but not the class records.

If the CG wants exposure for top speed runs that would be another avenue to do it.

That is one of the things we discuss last Nov with the C.G, they want us to do starting in the 2010 year and for the furture with them:
Long distance speed records attempts and now kilo speed runs....
The boat we had origanal set to buy was perfect for the long distance attempts but the owner pulled the boat off the market...so we needed something to race for this year and went with the Activator...
We will be attempting a long distance attempt before the years end in the Activator...we need to have all the gremlins out before we make the attempt...and it will be tought in a 27 foot boat...but we will get our feet wet for this year and know what we are up against for the furture

When you see whats in store for us....your going to think were nuts.....

kap328 07-12-2010 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN (Post 3156184)
from the howard website
"award winning 122 mph 28 Bullet, officially the fastest single engine V-bottom ever tested by both Hot Boat and Powerboat magazines,"

Comment:

That speed was old the same boat hit 130.7MPH and hit the rev limiter again. The subject boat is the only all composite 28 Howard Bullet with a TPI motor in it.

Originally Posted by MANITIE (Post 3156351)

Comment:

At the time when the article ran that number... NO ONE!... was even close to that speed in a V-Bottom under 30ft.

I was in the boat and hit 118MPH consistently on the limiter not enough wheel.

The boat is still around and is hella fast...another Howard owner is allegedly running a 28 Bullet that is faster but no proof as of yet.

FYI several 28 Howard Bullets currently running [all single engine boats] that can hit 115++ MPH, Tom W., David C, and Steve F. I would say that David C's boat could eclipse the 130 mark with the right conditions and temperature.

The 28 Howard v-bottoms are very stable and impressive. As that platform can hit those numbers consistently whereas other boats are having a great deal of difficulty ie...chine walking all over the water.

KAP

MANITIE 07-12-2010 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by kap328 (Post 3156441)
Comment:

That speed was old the same boat hit 130.7MPH and hit the rev limiter again. The subject boat is the only all composite 28 Howard Bullet with a TPI motor in it.

Comment:

At the time when the article ran that number... NO ONE!... was even close to that speed in a V-Bottom under 30ft.

I was in the boat and hit 118MPH consistently on the limiter not enough wheel.

The boat is still around and is hella fast...another Howard owner is allegedly running a 28 Bullet that is faster but no proof as of yet.

FYI several 28 Howard Bullets currently running [all single engine boats] that can hit 115++ MPH, Tom W., David C, and Steve F. I would say that David C's boat could eclipse the 130 mark with the right conditions and temperature.

The 28 Howard v-bottoms are very stable and impressive. As that platform can hit those numbers consistently whereas other boats are having a great deal of difficulty ie...chine walking all over the water.

KAP

Do you know what type of power was being run with the 130 speed....and what was the differance between the 28's that had 1100 hp and ran 110 and the hp that got it to 130....
also did the boat ever run a offical kilo with a sanctioning body when these numbers were run...
Not saying they did not hit these numbers....we are looking for offical numbers for a kilo record to see if we want to attempt in braking it...