Dose Anyone Know What The Speed Record For A Single Vee Bottom Is >

Dose Anyone Know What The Speed Record For A Single Vee Bottom Is

Notices

Dose Anyone Know What The Speed Record For A Single Vee Bottom Is

Old 07-13-2010, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Todesca
Yeap I seen them....whats crazy is the SCL only ran 128 and the SC ran 133....and these are 38 to 40' cats enclosed....

But yet a 28' vee bottom runs 130 and these Allisons are running over that...

It makes Reggies run of what 174 not that impressive when a ski boat is running 140 and pulling skiers around at 120+...

Last edited by MANITIE; 07-13-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:21 PM
Registered

there is a big jump in hp required to go from 140 to 174. as speed increases everything else increases squared...or something like that. been awhile since high school physics class. i still think 174 is quite impressive
Old 07-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by panicrev613
there is a big jump in hp required to go from 140 to 174. as speed increases everything else increases squared...or something like that. been awhile since high school physics class. i still think 174 is quite impressive
Don't get me wrong...174 is fast...and impressive....but 140+ in a single engine vee bottom boat is fast....like I said, that is faster then some SC's in a fully enclosed cockpit and a cat...which is much easier to controll than a vee bottom....

But from 100mph to 140+ is also a big jump...

On the Howard web site is says...there 28 with a 525 dose 80 -83 mph..
Which is in line with most 26 to 30' singles with a 525...
but with 1100+ it dose 130+..thats a big jump there in speed...

Last edited by MANITIE; 07-13-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Registered

agreed, when i grow up i am going to get a howard boat...
Old 07-13-2010, 02:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by T2x
So what you're saying is that the Allisons don't exist?

Allisons have been blowing the doors off of vee bottom and older monohull speed records since the 50's........ and the Allison pad bottom vee design is still the fastest thing out there......and it has no steps . Reggie got his pad from Allison, Steve Stepp did and so did we... (Challenger/Shadow). Sure all of us have modified the concept to fit the parameters of the larger hulls, but the first builder to mass produce the concept was Paul Alllison in 1965.
Comment:

I did not mention Allisons you did!

Second, the length of boat I am refering to... is in the category of 30ft to 25ft. If you want to illustrate a particular boat please do so rather than taking a snippet of my post and taking it out of context.

Oh, I have a Howard Deckboat that does 118 to 121MPH seems the Howard lineage...is hella fast----single engine too mind you.

Originally Posted by panicrev613
Your post above is in the right realm once you get to a certain peak speed the amount of horsepower relative to increase in top speed falls off dramatically. In plain terms you hit a wall for that hull/platform no matter how much HP you throw at it.

KAP
P.S. Panicrev---That very same 130MPH boat is currently for sale...PM me if you are interested it owned by a guy named Tom W. and you could eat out of the bilge it is that immaculate.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kap328
Comment:

Second, the length of boat I am refering to... is in the category of 30ft to 25ft. If you want to illustrate a particular boat please do so rather than taking a snippet of my post and taking it out of context.
Actually, I mentioned Allisons. Question was asked about speed record in single engine V-bottom, and fact is, a recorded verified speed in a single engine V-bottom was set in 1987 by an Allison at 129 mph. (BTW, the record still stands and the XR2002 model that set the record is a pleasure boat. )

Also, here's your exact quote, so by my take and how I read it, you made an incorrect statement.

Comment:

At the time when the article ran that number... NO ONE!... was even close to that speed in a V-Bottom under 30ft.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:06 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Comment:

Actually I didn't start the Allison conversation.....

You are all over the map here. First it was "under 30 feet" now it's "25 to 30 feet". Please make up your mind.

It appears that all you really want to do is discuss Howard's....basically a generic California design...... and only Howard's that have ridiculous power at that.

Bottom line--- Howard is not the fastest monohull or single engine vee bottom......... Your buddy has a fast boat and that's nice, but as we have pointed out here hundreds of times........ If you put enough horsepower in just aboiut anything....you can go fast, and IMHO...a Howard is just about anything....

Nuff said,

T2x
Old 07-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ziemer
Actually, I mentioned Allisons. Question was asked about speed record in single engine V-bottom, and fact is, a recorded verified speed in a single engine V-bottom was set in 1987 by an Allison at 129 mph. (BTW, the record still stands and the XR2002 model that set the record is a pleasure boat. )

Also, here's your exact quote, so by my take and how I read it, you made an incorrect statement.
Reply:
I was not aware of the 23 year old record you speak of but if you say it is a recorded verified speed in a single engine V-Bottom it would be interesting to review the data behind the claim.

Can you enlighten us on what sanctioning body recorded this speed, place, body of water etc...length of boat, power, drive type etc...

As for the statement I see your point. At the time it was the fastest V-Bottom ever tested by a certain publication is more accurate.

I stand corrected.

Originally Posted by T2x
Actually I didn't start the Allison conversation.....

You are all over the map here. First it was "under 30 feet" now it's "25 to 30 feet". Please make up your mind.

It appears that all you really want to do is discuss Howard's....basically a generic California design...... and only Howard's that have ridiculous power at that.

Bottom line--- Howard is not the fastest monohull or single engine vee bottom......... Your buddy has a fast boat and that's nice, but as we have pointed out here hundreds of times........ If you put enough horsepower in just aboiut anything....you can go fast, and IMHO...a Howard is just about anything....

Nuff said,

T2x
Hello T2x:

I did not mention Allison in anyway yet you subcribe it to me somehow. Quit being a zealot and doing so in such a hasty manner your reading more into it than you should.

I merely stated that there are several 28 Howard Bullets that are capable of reaching 115MPH++. As for generic it would be your reading comprehension rather than your feeble attempt at criticizing a boat builder about whom you know nothing at all.

I never said Howard is the fastest monohull or single engine v-bottom I merely indicated the builder has a stable full of very fast V-Bottoms that consistently put up big numbers for V-Bottoms. If a kilo run was put on I am sure there would be numerous entries provided it was open to all manufacturers.

As for your "we pointed out here" nonsense nothing could be further from the truth each platform has a speed threshold that you cannot push through even if you throw monster power at it. Not to mention certain V-Bottoms couldn't exceed speeds below 100MPH without losing control.

For example, some boats with big HP will chine walk all over the water when pushed to very high speeds and become extremely dangerous...ie falling off of pads and keels to such a degree that loss of control is inevitable. Thus, your statement is meritless, inaccurate and false.

Thus, to say that you could put tremendous HP to any V-Bottom and make it run is absolute rubbish.

Look I think you read more into what I wrote than was present including following up with some type of rant reminescent of Scream & Fly rehetoric.

Let it go and speak to your respective experience---like posting a video/photo/document relevant to this topic.

Respectfully,

KAP
Old 07-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check page 1 of the thread (even a bit on page 2).

There's even a video.

20' Allison, XR2002 Model, with carb 2.4 liter bridgeport rated at 245 hp from Mercury. Not sure of all engine mods however no nitrous used.

Reply:
I was not aware of the 23 year old record you speak of but if you say it is a recorded verified speed in a single engine V-Bottom it would be interesting to review the data behind the claim.

Can you enlighten us on what sanctioning body recorded this speed, place, body of water etc...length of boat, power, drive type etc...

As for the statement I see your point. At the time it was the fastest V-Bottom ever tested by a certain publication is more accurate.

I stand corrected.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ziemer
Check page 1 of the thread (even a bit on page 2).

There's even a video.

20' Allison, XR2002 Model, with carb 2.4 liter bridgeport rated at 245 hp from Mercury. Not sure of all engine mods however no nitrous used.
Waazzuupp Ziemer,
Hell, I feel like I'm back on S&F watching Mercury and Johnrude dudes arguing . Glad I was never in the middle of that sheet........
Actually the old head Merc Jerk (me) was there to see the run. I was there running a N20/2.4 EFI Shadow tunnel vee. My weekend went to sheet. Every time I got on the button, the prop would blow out (really fun at 100 ), the motor would hit the limiter and shut down. So I was a bust. Conversely, Darris and Glen Reynolds really had their boat dialed in. They were running a ModVP legal (no low water pickup) gearcase on 2.4 bridgeport carb with 6 2barrels. It was the old Land and Sea six pack set up. The record was was NOA/ModVP Kilo.
The weather was extraordinarily warm for October (like 80o). I am sure the boat would have run 130+ had it been in the 60s. Glen did a really nice job driving the boat. Not many people could have. Another guy ran 112 with a "stock" 2.4EFI on an Allison XB2002 to set the bass boat record that day.
Shortly thereafter I bought a XB2002 and hung a 2.4EFI on it. If you can't beat them, join them.............
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 07-13-2010 at 06:55 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.