Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Dose Anyone Know What The Speed Record For A Single Vee Bottom Is >

Dose Anyone Know What The Speed Record For A Single Vee Bottom Is

Notices

Dose Anyone Know What The Speed Record For A Single Vee Bottom Is

Old 07-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could not find anything today with a APBA record for this type of class....

With all the differant types of APBA Offshore records I would have thought there would be a Offshore single engine, gas, prop record.

Smitty...something to think about maybe....
and if you really want me to give you a headache.....let me say the words "SOLOMONS ISLAND".....
Old 07-12-2010, 08:48 PM
Registered

Gordon Mineo had a 25' eliminator (before his 36)with a turbine on it that went well over 110 but I have no idea where that boat is nowadays
Old 07-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Registered

The ski race boats are all prop driven.
We owned a 21' deep v everingham v drive. Twin turbo 510 merlin engine.
In testing and tuning i remember we hit 130mph with ease (i was starting to have trouble holding the laptop cause i was sitting backwards and the acceleration was just throwing me at the motor.)
That thing could corner as well. 120mph in the sharper 90degree river bends.
I also know the Circuit race guys over here regularly reach 150mph with there blown methanol motors.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MANITIE
Do you know what type of power was being run with the 130 speed....and what was the differance between the 28's that had 1100 hp and ran 110 and the hp that got it to 130....
also did the boat ever run a offical kilo with a sanctioning body when these numbers were run...
Not saying they did not hit these numbers....we are looking for offical numbers for a kilo record to see if we want to attempt in braking it...
Reply:

Well you asked several questions!

The type of power in the 28 Bullet running the 130MPH was blown BBC and it was not dynoed. However, I know the motor was tweaked quite a bit to get the latest top end number of 130 MPH.

NOTE: The 110MPH Bullet and the 130MPH Bullet are the same boat with just engine changes.

No NOS or other accelerants used when obtaining the 130MPH speed. I know this was the speed obtained as I viewed the GPS speedo and screen post run.

The boat was not entered in the Salton Sea kilo run as the brine in that pond is absolute destruction on NON-CLOSED cooled motors and everything else susceptible to corrosion.

To set-up a kilo run is a very difficult and expensive proposition usually reserved for companies with big money who want to claim a certain title. Howard does not need to set-up a kilo run as I previously mentioned there are at least three Howard Bullets that I know of which will run 115MPH, plus, plus, and one that could probably hit about 135MPH.

Keep in mind the boats I mention are all pleasure boats versus other boats which are race boats or de facto race boats.

I will try and find the photo of the speedo with 130MPH it has been over a year since I last looked at it.

KAP
Old 07-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Registered

Here is the video of the boat you asked about.

Absolutely hella fast and stable!

[GOOGLEVIDEO]<embed id=VideoPlayback src=http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-1439207833157380574&hl=en&fs=true style=width:400px;height:326px allowFullScreen=true allowScriptAccess=always type=application/x-shockwave-flash> </embed>[/GOOGLEVIDEO]

Lake Havasu, Arizona sticky and flat and on the rev limiter 130.3 MPH.

KAP
Old 07-13-2010, 08:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kap328
Reply:

Well you asked several questions!

The type of power in the 28 Bullet running the 130MPH was blown BBC and it was not dynoed. However, I know the motor was tweaked quite a bit to get the latest top end number of 130 MPH.

NOTE: The 110MPH Bullet and the 130MPH Bullet are the same boat with just engine changes.

No NOS or other accelerants used when obtaining the 130MPH speed. I know this was the speed obtained as I viewed the GPS speedo and screen post run.

The boat was not entered in the Salton Sea kilo run as the brine in that pond is absolute destruction on NON-CLOSED cooled motors and everything else susceptible to corrosion.

To set-up a kilo run is a very difficult and expensive proposition usually reserved for companies with big money who want to claim a certain title. Howard does not need to set-up a kilo run as I previously mentioned there are at least three Howard Bullets that I know of which will run 115MPH, plus, plus, and one that could probably hit about 135MPH.

Keep in mind the boats I mention are all pleasure boats versus other boats which are race boats or de facto race boats.

I will try and find the photo of the speedo with 130MPH it has been over a year since I last looked at it.

KAP
Thanks for the info....I found that video yesterday when looking for record runs....fast boat...

Most Vee bottoms that were mention are pleasure boats...
The single engine race boats are either spec class which is a 525 class and P-Class with are pleasure boats with 450 to 650hp....so none of these boats would run in the 115+ range....
I'm well aware of the cost for a kilo run....and what it intails....

What I find amazing is the numbers being run in a single engine boat compared to 40' twin engine race boats that are fully enclosed...

I think Instigator ran 127 in the Kilo 2 weeks ago in Sarasota....and yet there is a 28 single engine boat out there running 130 in a pleasure boat....

I wounder if they would open a class for a single engine, stern drive, gas prop boat......I would think that would be a good class for a kilo run and would draw many more boats...
Old 07-13-2010, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been 117 with my 32 without my "Little" pulley on top!!!My boat could handle 125 plus if i want to.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gino have you seen these records

http://www.starsrescue.com/images/20...nooga_Mile.pdf
Old 07-13-2010, 12:02 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by kap328

Comment:

At the time when the article ran that number... NO ONE!... was even close to that speed in a V-Bottom under 30ft.

I was in the boat and hit 118MPH consistently on the limiter not enough wheel.

KAP
So what you're saying is that the Allisons don't exist?

Allisons have been blowing the doors off of vee bottom and older monohull speed records since the 50's........ and the Allison pad bottom vee design is still the fastest thing out there......and it has no steps . Reggie got his pad from Allison, Steve Stepp did and so did we... (Challenger/Shadow). Sure all of us have modified the concept to fit the parameters of the larger hulls, but the first builder to mass produce the concept was Paul Alllison in 1965.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:13 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
I believe those "K Boats" run in the 140's as well. Basically nothing more than a 1970's California style shallow V hull with big power. They race them on an oval course like in Parker AZ and such.
Technically a K Boat is considered a "flat bottom"... but I agree, even those with slight semi vees could be considered a vee of some sort , and they have gone well over 150 in record attempts. This would then open the discussion up to how fast has a 10 degree vee gone?...a 15 degree vee?...a 20 degree...etc. Also can a flat pad on an Allison or Velocity be considered a "flat bottom"? The APBA always stated that aside from a concave surface (tunnel hull or "tunneled strakes or pads") any monohull with 0+ degrees of deadrise and no air entrapment devices was allowed to compete with any other monohull of 0+ degrees of deadrise and no air entrapment devices. That standard still makes sense and effectively eliminates Ocke Mannefeldt from putting airplane wings on a lawn dart and calling it a vee bottom.

Last edited by T2x; 07-13-2010 at 12:18 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.