Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   2 years since I started my boat....need advice (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/234586-2-years-since-i-started-my-boat-need-advice.html)

prozach 07-13-2010 08:17 AM

2 years since I started my boat....need advice

Well I am finally back after 2 kids,new company, and a move to Denver, I can now finally take the boat out again!!!

Now the boat has been in storage since Oct 2008. I have a 525EFI with an XR drive, IMCO full hyd steering.

I will replace the impellor,new gas, new oil...but any other recommendations? I worry about the lack of oil in the engine. Should I invest in a preoiler before starting? Anything else???

Thanks,

Z

FuelinAround 07-13-2010 08:52 AM

Did you fog it last time it was **** down?

Audiofn 07-13-2010 09:10 AM

I don't know if or how you would do this on that motor but with the old motors you used to be able to pull out the distributor and prime the oil pump before firing. Maybe there is a trick like that you can do?

apollard 07-13-2010 10:08 AM

After long term storage of engines, here's what I always do:

New bat or charge up
Change oil & filter (fill filter with oil if possible), impeller, any hoses that look bad, and all belts
Pull plugs, squirt a little oil in cylinders, reinstall plugs.
New gas (drain if not empty)
Pre-oil the engine if possible (not always possible on EFIs)
Disable ignition (on boats, I pull the lanyard)
Crank engine - continue about one minute after oil pressure comes up.
Reactivate ignition (lanyard)
Prime carb (if not EFI)
Start

I've revived junkyard car engines that sat for years using this method. Smokes like hell at first, though (burning off the oil in the cylinders).

DollaBill 07-13-2010 10:28 AM

better to have too much oil in the cylinders at this point. It'll burn off. Like they said. Pull the wire and crank it to get oil psi up before you run it

Griff 07-13-2010 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by DollaBill (Post 3157219)
better to have too much oil in the cylinders at this point. It'll burn off. Like they said. Pull the wire and crank it to get oil psi up before you run it

Ditto

Wobble 07-13-2010 01:49 PM

I believe the best plan is to pull the spark plugs and put some light oil in the cylinders, like wd 40, crank the engine until you see oil pressure then re-install plugs and go from there.

Fresh oil and filter as soon as you get it running.

prozach 07-13-2010 06:36 PM

I like the idea of cranking the motor without the plugs in. Should crank the oil in faster and no pressure on the bearings.

Sydwayz 07-13-2010 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Wobble (Post 3157414)
I believe the best plan is to pull the spark plugs and put some light oil in the cylinders, like wd 40, crank the engine until you see oil pressure then re-install plugs and go from there.

Fresh oil and filter as soon as you get it running.

This is bar none the best approach without a significant investment. Put the original plugs back in and then replace them after a bit of running and burning off the added oil.

Also, make sure when you change the oil, that fill the oil filter with fresh oil, but do this always.