Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Radial or Bias ply trailer tires (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/23459-radial-bias-ply-trailer-tires.html)

boot 05-01-2002 05:57 PM

Medicine man beat me to it ! The tag at the front of the trailer will tell trailer rating or axle rating . Hopefully it's still there . 9500 for the boat sounds a little high to me .I could be wrong . Remember that The tongue weight figures into the factor too . You could have as much as 10% on the hitch (Tongue weight ) Thats 1,300lbs subtracted from what the axles are carrying .You will need to weigh the tongue. weight when the trailer is level . NOw that could throw a wrench into things too!! Adding 1000-1300 lbs to the hitch :eek: Now we need to know what hitch you have , do you have weight distributing ,things like that ...... See what the hitch is rated at for tongue weight . Then get it set up to get that weight on the hitch . YOu may need to move axles on trailer or move boat forward or back on trailer to adjust tongue weight . Don't want to confuse you but there is a lot to know to do it right . Let us know what your hitch says and what your trailer tag says . We'll go from there .;)

The tires and wheels will probably be fine as you are going to have a minmum of 500 lbs of that weight on the truck hitch . the trailer is a little light but I am sure there are plenty of guys running the same thing . I am into over kill .My trailer has 3 -9,000lbs axles and I weigh about 17,000-18,000 lbs .

Good luck ,keep us posted ! JOE

cigarette1 05-01-2002 06:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Jim,

I met your buddy with the Skater in Havasu ... super nice guy.
Tell him, I'm the brother he met at the car wash Thursday. I told him, you should have begged, borrowed or stole a ride down. We were docked at the same marina at the London Bridge.

Gary

NW_Jim 05-01-2002 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK Boot, your right, my original owners manual says 9000 lbs. I wondered about the tongue weight.

The tag on the front is still there, but it is virtually illegible. Is there anything marked on the axles themselves?

I don't have a truck right now. My friend Don, that Gary (Cigarette 1) met down at Havasu last weekend, has volunteered to haul me around for awhile. We just can't go to the same place at the same time.:(

I plan on getting a diesel dually with a class 5 hitch on it within the next year - I hope:rolleyes:

Gary ~ Glad to hear you got to meet Don. He is a super nice guy. Sorry I didn't come down. Looks like I missed the time of my life. I hope to splash my boat for the very first time tommorow or Friday. Wish me luck.:D

Here is a pic of Don's Truck and the Donzi I almost bought.

NW_Jim 05-01-2002 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wish I had the $$$ for the Freightliner.:D :D

NW_Jim 05-01-2002 07:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my trailer tag. If anyone can see the numbers, please let me in on it.:D

NW_Jim 05-01-2002 07:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic that shows the size of the tires.

BADA BING 05-01-2002 07:29 PM

Hey Jim,

I don't know if you would be interested, but if you log-on to scopeinfo.com and go to the for sale section I have posted (7) wheels for a 5x114.3- (5 on 4.5) 15x8 ANTERA wheels that should be sufficient for the load on your trailer.

They are rated for heavy duty offroad/truck use.

I have all the hardware and rings to make them hub-centric, used them on a double axle trailer for about 2 1/2 years and 2 of the wheels are brand new in boxes and 1 for spare.

Any interest let me know, I am selling them because my new trailer with my new boat came with a 6-lug pattern.

Good Luck:)

NW_Jim 05-01-2002 08:37 PM

Now if they had tires on them....:rolleyes::D

BryanTuvell 05-01-2002 09:29 PM

I just lived a trailer nightmare, package deal.
My Donzi was heavier than advertised (by 1000 pounds), so to the scales I went!
Total rig 14440lbs
minus truck F250 PSD 4x4 7020lbs
Trailer/Boat 7420lbs

Trailer GVWR 7000 I am over by 420
Capacity capability 6160, again 420 over
no matter how you look at it, and she will be heavier loaded up.

Subtract 840 for trailer the 26ZX NO TOYS completely stripped, full tank of gas weighs 6580.

My new trailer arrived at the dealer yesterday and I get it tomorrow, free of charge!
The new one is rated 8000 pounds capacity, GVWR 10,000.

My advise is get the boat and trailer weighed and a trailer safety inspection to be safe. I just had a brand new properly inflated tire blow like a bomb. I was told this was a sign of overloading....
Be safe and good luck.
Bryan

NW_Jim 05-02-2002 03:18 AM

Thanks all for the info. I learned alot about trailer tires and wheels today.;)