Notices

Formula 242 ls Wanted

Old 07-15-2010, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by srdrago
Ya i am. Trying to get 85-89. Some have them, some dont. But how is a 242 with the SB350? I feel like im going to be to slow
Your feelings are correct; you will be slow.
I had one with twin small blocks years ago, and they were built strokers. Struggled to do 60 on stock 260's, did slightly over 70 GPS when I was done. IMHO, it's too much boat for a single small-block/Alpha, regardless how strong you build that one engine. You aren't going to hit 50 unless it's on a trailer. The boat requires twins or a healthy single big-block.

Keep in mind this hull has quite a bit of factory hook in the last three feet or so of the bottom all the way to the transom. Makes for nice, easy to handle ride for the novice boater, but it porpoises substantially at higher speeds, and requires tabs (which causes drag and slows you down) to keep the porpoising under control. All of the 242LS's have it, and it's not worth trying to remove it for results that may be less than expected. You won't ever see this porpoising tendency in a single SB or BB install- it just won't go fast enough in stock condition for that trait to be exhibitied.
The 242LS also has the goofy Quicksilver controls- you need the SR1 to get into split sticks.

Still a great boat, if kept within its design criteria. We enjoyed ours- it had every factory option including a rare McLeod bolster interior.
Jim
Old 07-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by srdrago
I would love that boat, but your in Florida.:/

That is a great deal, make the trip!!!!
Old 07-15-2010, 12:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jafo
Your feelings are correct; you will be slow.
I had one with twin small blocks years ago, and they were built strokers. Struggled to do 60 on stock 260's, did slightly over 70 GPS when I was done. IMHO, it's too much boat for a single small-block/Alpha, regardless how strong you build that one engine. You aren't going to hit 50 unless it's on a trailer. The boat requires twins or a healthy single big-block.

Keep in mind this hull has quite a bit of factory hook in the last three feet or so of the bottom all the way to the transom. Makes for nice, easy to handle ride for the novice boater, but it porpoises substantially at higher speeds, and requires tabs (which causes drag and slows you down) to keep the porpoising under control. All of the 242LS's have it, and it's not worth trying to remove it for results that may be less than expected. You won't ever see this porpoising tendency in a single SB or BB install- it just won't go fast enough in stock condition for that trait to be exhibitied.
The 242LS also has the goofy Quicksilver controls- you need the SR1 to get into split sticks.

Still a great boat, if kept within its design criteria. We enjoyed ours- it had every factory option including a rare McLeod bolster interior.
Jim
What props were you running? I have an 87 SR1 with two built 383's and am planning to run the 23 pitch. How did it handle at 50? Also those are GREAT colors! That looks like a great boat.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:21 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by jmrapp
What props were you running? I have an 87 SR1 with two built 383's and am planning to run the 23 pitch. How did it handle at 50? Also those are GREAT colors! That looks like a great boat.
I tried absolutely every chunk of stainless steel on that boat, and the best performers, believe it or not, were Mercury three-blade cleavers that started out life as 21's and were worked over and labbed at the FonduLac Merc shop up to about 23 1/2. I also had a set of 19" Mirages that we put on occasionally for longer, slower cruises up the Mississippi River; they proved to be a little more fuel efficient on those trips. The boat handled great at 50. It was when you were getting into the upper 60's that things got interesting. The boat could be a handful, especially given the non-counterrotating Alphas. Fun, but you had to pay strict attention.
I cured the boat's not-so-great handling qualities at high speeds by buying an Active Thunder.

The paint on the boat was the factory Imron option.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there are some really clean 242's listed, 87-891 are the best years, I will link them when I get a chance,,, minnepolis craigslist has a nice one listed the others I'll link as I see them
Old 07-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I might ad that our first boat was a 88 242 we absoulutly loved it and often miss it
Old 07-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by 88242LS
, 87-89 are the best years
a matter of opinion, of course.....
Old 07-15-2010, 06:37 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I miss my 272LS and 311SRI a LOT.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I may know a VERY nice 272 for sale in Gloucester. Nice Allum. trailer, new interior, BRAND NEW long blocks. I bet you can get it for around 15.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:30 AM
Registered

As I said in your other thread, you'll be happier with a 272 than a 242 if you want to do much boating in Buzzard's Bay. Get one with bolsters, if possible. A 272 with twin small-blocks won't be a rocket, but it should do about 60 and should be reasonably fuel-efficient.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.