Notices

Blew Up Motor @ Heat Wave

Old 05-01-2002, 07:21 PM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gregr, this was supposed to be stronger than the BravoXR unit. I ran the unit at last years Fall Heatwave Poker Run and at Powell 3 weeks ago. I would say 7-8 hours. No, I am not a very happy camper right now.
Todd, I was running with Tony in his 30 Daytona and we were running around 75mph. We were not even on the sticks that hard when she let go. I think I'll try a stock XR unit and see if it lasts this time.

Sam
Old 05-01-2002, 07:34 PM
Charter Member#1300
Charter Member

Smile

Sam, Talk to Pyle about a quote on a Teague XR.
Old 05-01-2002, 07:44 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your motor..sounds like a smoke'n cat. Your the only guy I've read running 1.36 gears and 36 Bravo 1's!! I have a pair of 36 Bravo 1's with ten minutes of test time. Have to go down to 1.36 gears also. I am in a V hull, wont be able to turn them. If you need a spare set of props drop me a line. Will sell or trade for a pair of comparable 32 Bravo 1's Good luck on your thash to make the other run.
Old 05-01-2002, 11:50 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You need to dump the intercooler water to the top of the drives.
Old 05-02-2002, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

cat & mice - Loved your comment about the piston ring..."not good"...Hang on to your sense of humour, you need it in this hobby. Water pressure gauges/alarms might be a good idea. Lots of us use them on the engine but never thought about the intercooler. If it gets plugged for any reason..."not good".
Old 05-02-2002, 12:01 PM
Uncle Toys

Mike – Rookie question. Is it standard having the drive pickup feed the intercooler for the supercharger? I remember you showing me your through-hull water pickups. Why not use that?

Work hard dude, we need you at the regatta.

Old 05-02-2002, 12:10 PM
Registered

While we are on subject of alarms. What about detonation alarms. I have the edelbrock one but between wind noise & motor noise & trying to watch where I am going I do not hear it or look at it. Only if I happen to look down and see red I know to shut down.
Old 05-02-2002, 03:34 PM
Cat & Mice

Uncle Toys, You can only get so much water thru one pickup so I wanted to make sure the motor had the most. Normally the drive pickup works very good for intercooler but in this case it just wasn't getting ehough water.
I am adding another set of pickups on the transom. I am going to place them just in front of the drive so they spray the lower unit keeping it cool as well.

Cobra Marty, You are right about the dumps. I actually have 45 deg dumps right over the top of my drive. Both the intercooler dump and the sea strainer Blow off dumps directly onto the top of the drive.

Turbo, Ya that sounds like a good idea. I will check into that. I am also going to add a set of Pyro guages.

We romoved the Heads, blowers last night and I think if everything goes ok we have a good chance of getting this thing done by the Regatta.

Pyle

Old 05-02-2002, 10:07 PM
Cat & Mice

Tomcat, We do this for FUN right. Ya I keep a pretty good attitude about this kind of stuff. It was actually pretty cool experiance. I am just glad we had a 30 pack on board for the 4.5 mile return.

Pyle