Need Opinions on a good 'starter' Cat >

Need Opinions on a good 'starter' Cat

Notices

Need Opinions on a good 'starter' Cat

Old 07-21-2010, 07:28 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I disagree, <--was under 35 and purchased a smaller cat and am insured with State Farm
Is it cheap, NOPE!, but it is a lot less then some others!
I feel it helps to have everything with one company, and a MUST to include an Umbrella policy that includes it all!
Kept the boat under 100mph for just that reason.
Guessing by his request that he is not wanting a 35+ 120mph cat to start off with. Actually glad to hear that as well since we have all heard of newly aquired high powered boats getting into some sort of trouble.

Originally Posted by rlj676
If you are under 35 and lacking cat experience, I'd say you basically can't get insured at any price.

How to get experience? Buy a old, small cat with no loan, and insure w/ an umbrella or something? Alternatively you could get fast boat experience, and then after 35 get a cat?
Old 07-21-2010, 07:45 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by MnFastBoat
I disagree, <--was under 35 and purchased a smaller cat and am insured with State Farm
I feel it helps to have everything with one company, and a MUST to include an Umbrella policy that includes it all!
Guessing by his request that he is not wanting a 35+ 120mph cat to start off with. Actually glad to hear that as well since we have all heard of newly aquired high powered boats getting into some sort of trouble.
I have used St farm for several boats and they were always very clear that they did not insure boats over 75mph....and excluded a buddies 72 mph Top Gun cause they don't insure cigarette boats (they were covering my 382 Formula though).
Old 07-21-2010, 08:33 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zoom918
thanks for the advice. In terms of insurance then how do you go about it? does everyone just pay out the ass for the first couple years or what? or would I be better off with a v hull for a little while first? (i've never had a boat in my name)
It depends on what size and speed Cat you are talking about. If you are going 36 ft, and 150 mph cat, even V experience wont help on the insurance problem. But if you are talking 26 to 30 ft cat and less than 100 mph, V experience is looked at, and as said, if you can get some in even a small cat, STV, Mirage, or others it will help.
Do yourself a favor call Stacy, she will take the time to answer your questions about insurance. She has underwriten alot of boats on this site, and has a very good reputation.

Stacy Shute

The NO LIMITS Insurance Agency

Wake Zone Marine Insurance 480-357-9663 ext 101
For an online quote: www.wakezoneinsurance.com
[email protected]

Last edited by Beak Boater; 07-21-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

The cats discussed here are mostly outboard. 30 Motion and Spectres are great hulls with outboards. The I/O versions are not the best setup and will porpoise a lot. Most good cats (true tunnel and light weight) under 32 feet are better with outboards. The 32 Skater with I/O power is as good as it gets. You might want to check out Eliminator hulls as well. Good lake boats. There are some good deals on 28-33' Daytonas.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been around speed long enough to know that no matter how good you think you are, you can't just jump into something that's stupid fast and think you're the cat's ass behind the wheel. Yeah, it would be awesome to have a boat that does 120+ but i'm sure i'd become complacent and try to push it which I really don't want to have the option to take the risk of. That's why I was looking at I/O boats. I figured i'd start with one that did 65-75 and then after a season swap props and put blowers on and work my way up or something similar.

Honestly for the amount i'd use the boat in a season and based on you're guys ballparks of insurance on a cat I don't even think it would be worth it. I've had cars that I spend over 1k a year on insurance for and put less than 400 miles on in a year. stuff like that burns my ass, but I realize thats how ins companies make their money.

Maybe it's time to start looking into a 30' or so V hull
Old 07-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
The cats discussed here are mostly outboard. 30 Motion and Spectres are great hulls with outboards. The I/O versions are not the best setup and will porpoise a lot. Most good cats (true tunnel and light weight) under 32 feet are better with outboards. The 32 Skater with I/O power is as good as it gets. You might want to check out Eliminator hulls as well. Good lake boats. There are some good deals on 28-33' Daytonas.
Agree 100%, outboards are the way to go in a smaller cat.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:47 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Beak Boater
less than 100 mph,

What's the sense of having a cat if you're not going to break the 100 mark?
Old 07-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

another person that hates his money LOL
Old 07-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatme
another person that hates his money LOL
That right there is funny!
Old 07-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Registered

I'd bet that your agent put something not completely honest through....... check all your policies. I agree with T500hps in that I'm pretty sure State Farm won't insure fast boats/cats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.