Need Opinions on a good 'starter' Cat >

Need Opinions on a good 'starter' Cat

Notices

Need Opinions on a good 'starter' Cat

Old 07-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fireboatpilot
V hulls aren't usually a problem getting a policy unless you get into really fast boats over 100mph plus. Being a Cat is the problem.
That about says it right there. Cats usually run in the 100mph range. Harder to insure than a 100mph V bottom probably not. Call the guys that handle Cat insurance and they will help you out, calling your home owners agent is going to get you anywhere.
Where do you boat?
30 Spectre is a good choice for an I/O setup to start.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fireboatpilot
You pay through the nose to the few co's out there that will even write a policy on you being no CAT experience. V hulls aren't usually a problem getting a policy unless you get into really fast boats over 100mph plus. Being a Cat is the problem.
Agreed, however I will mention that state farm would not insure my Sunsation Aggressor (25ft) because it has a 502 in it and so they rate the hp to length as too high even though it came from the factory that way. But generally you are 100% correct.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Registered

Your going to get killed on insurance and when you get it the deduct will be so high that the only way to use it would be if it was a total loss.....
Old 07-20-2010, 04:10 PM
JnT
Registered

TZrider took us for a ride on his 32 Skater last fall. Pretty much put me in a Skater fever. I priced insurance through a few advertisers and found that after I took the Tres Martin class I could be insured but at around 5% of the boats value per year.
There were some dang nice 28 Skaters for sale at the time.
Needless to say the insurance angle steered me away.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JnT
TZrider took us for a ride on his 32 Skater last fall. Pretty much put me in a Skater fever. I priced insurance through a few advertisers and found that after I took the Tres Martin class I could be insured but at around 5% of the boats value per year.
There were some dang nice 28 Skaters for sale at the time.
Needless to say the insurance angle steered me away.
thats not bad...i was quoted 10k a year for a 80k skater with outboards!
Old 07-20-2010, 05:19 PM
JnT
Registered

Originally Posted by Outkast Rafe
thats not bad...i was quoted 10k a year for a 80k skater with outboards!
The class was the kicker. No way they would touch me unless I took it. I think I'm a responsible boater and hold a 100 ton Coast Guard license. Good credit and no tickets for 10 years on the highway,I've run a lot of big boats but unfortunately none were cats.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Registered

thanks for the advice. In terms of insurance then how do you go about it? does everyone just pay out the ass for the first couple years or what? or would I be better off with a v hull for a little while first? (i've never had a boat in my name)
Old 07-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Registered

26 American Offshore Oh by the way I have one for sale.97 mph all day long! cheap on ins.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:31 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by zoom918
thanks for the advice. In terms of insurance then how do you go about it? does everyone just pay out the ass for the first couple years or what? or would I be better off with a v hull for a little while first? (i've never had a boat in my name)
My family has had boats my entire life and I've had my own boats since 22. Cats are appealing but I just can't swing the ins. You'll pay thousands per year minimum with experience. Having never owned a boat it's likely you can't get ins at any price.....if you do get quoted I bet it's at least 10% of the boats value......and not only will it won't drop for many years, it won't drop much if it ever does.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:48 PM
Registered

If you are under 35 and lacking cat experience, I'd say you basically can't get insured at any price.

How to get experience? Buy a old, small cat with no loan, and insure w/ an umbrella or something? Alternatively you could get fast boat experience, and then after 35 get a cat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.