Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   need answers to "how much does your boat cost?" (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/23513-need-answers-how-much-does-your-boat-cost.html)

Madcow 05-02-2002 08:31 AM

I always say "If you have to ask, it's too much".

thunderdan 05-02-2002 08:35 AM

My usual answer is it depends on if you are asking me or my wife. :D

Padraig 05-02-2002 08:52 AM

My answer depends the situation and the people. I either just smile or tell them that it is none of their f******g business. I am always surprised about how many people ask this question.

Sean 05-02-2002 08:57 AM

I usually say "more than I can really afford"...but I like the annual salary answer...it is a very appropriate response given the inappropriatness of the question.

MooseKnuckle 05-02-2002 09:14 AM

I always tell people it's like a lease...a monthly payment, that usually changes every 2-5 years depending on the new/ newer boat picked out!

Some people at my work think I'm loaded and the company pays me too much money, but my wife and I both have good jobs and just one kid. I also tell them I am very thrifty with our money except for our boat!

Indy 05-02-2002 09:16 AM

For the majority of the folks, I just tell them it cost A LOT and leave it at that. However, if I am talking to a fellow boater and the interest is genuine, I have no problem sharing. I guess it just comes down to the individual and the nature of the request.

boot 05-02-2002 09:32 AM

I say ," I don't know what it is going to cost in the end ,but it costs me something every day " ! :D

It depends on the person asking . Some people have a rude way about it .And some are just nice , envious people . I have found that some people get real weird ,and kind of jelous if they do find out . I find that even some people I have known a long time get alittle attitude when they find out $$ . It some times makes me feel bad to tell . It does feel good when you get some ass h#%e that needs to be put in his place and I tell him '1' of my motors are worth as much as his house ,and my dayly fuel bill is more then he makes all week !:D That shuts them up quick !!:D

Chart 05-02-2002 09:35 AM

"I'd be embassased to tell you. But it's a whole lot more than I thought it was going to be.":o And they usually end up feeling sympthy for you :D

Chart 05-02-2002 09:48 AM

Let me add: Most of these folks don't seek to be rude. They just admire a toy that they don't think they can ever achieve themselves. By saying "You must be drug dealers" she was really saying "You appear so much more successful than I am, that I want your success to be based on something illegal"

The way we respond to this awful question helps reflect how the rest of the world views power boaters. As some of the other posts on restricted waters suggests, we need to be good ambassadors for our recreation.

Phknlwyr 05-02-2002 10:14 AM

"About what it costs to send a kid to a small college...like Harvard."

OR

"I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you."