Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   F'n ethanol (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/235254-fn-ethanol.html)

t500hps 07-21-2010 08:49 PM

F'n ethanol

This crap is just BAD!!!!!

Luckily it's not the boat that's the problem. I've got a 10 year old leaf blower that I rarely use and it has been a bit(h to keep running this summer. Finally it would start for 2-3 seconds and cut off REPEATEDLY.

Felt certain it was fuel issues so I cleaned the carb/air filter, etc with no success. Seemed like an air leak and inspected the little primer bulb very hard......finally tore the entire unit apart to find the fuel line running inside the tank has deteriorated terribly where it sits in a stabilized fuel tank. It's letting air into the line (even inside the tank) which breaks the vacuum and no more fuel is pulled.

This crap is gonna cost me $200 for another one because of $.50 of fuel line that is part of the dam fuel tank!!!!

If you have any of these older engines DON'T STORE THEM WITH FUEL IN THE TANK.

tomtbone1993 07-21-2010 09:07 PM

amen.....i hate it...

jeff1000man 07-21-2010 09:12 PM

Blame it on the eth eth eth ethanolllll, blame it on the eth eth eth eth ethanolllllllllll.......................

87MagnumII 07-21-2010 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by t500hps (Post 3164877)
This crap is just BAD!!!!!

Luckily it's not the boat that's the problem. I've got a 10 year old leaf blower that I rarely use and it has been a bit(h to keep running this summer. Finally it would start for 2-3 seconds and cut off REPEATEDLY.

Felt certain it was fuel issues so I cleaned the carb/air filter, etc with no success. Seemed like an air leak and inspected the little primer bulb very hard......finally tore the entire unit apart to find the fuel line running inside the tank has deteriorated terribly where it sits in a stabilized fuel tank. It's letting air into the line (even inside the tank) which breaks the vacuum and no more fuel is pulled.

This crap is gonna cost me $200 for another one because of $.50 of fuel line that is part of the dam fuel tank!!!!

If you have any of these older engines DON'T STORE THEM WITH FUEL IN THE TANK.

STABIL makes a new fuel stabilizer for marine (or lawn equipment use) that is blue instead of red. it removes the ethanol from the fuel to prevent stuff like this from happening. you also use it as an additive to the fuel when you fill up to help further protect the engine and components. makes my boat run a little smoother when i add it to the tank

fireguy 07-21-2010 09:21 PM

Yup, i had to replace the fuel line in the tank of my weedeater last fall and it was kind of a pain in the arse. But, it works well again and weedeater had the parts to me in no time.

t500hps 07-21-2010 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by 87MagnumII (Post 3164912)
STABIL makes a new fuel stabilizer for marine (or lawn equipment use) that is blue instead of red. it removes the ethanol from the fuel to prevent stuff like this from happening. you also use it as an additive to the fuel when you fill up to help further protect the engine and components. makes my boat run a little smoother when i add it to the tank

You need to do a little more research. I do use the green Stabil and it does NOT remove ethanol. It does help keep the fuel fresh but the ethanol will dissolve older rubber just as quickly as it would without Stabil.

jeff1000man 07-21-2010 09:39 PM

The squirels ate the vent screw off the fuel tank of my riding lawn mower. You think it was because of the ethanol? Or are they just getting into sniffing gas? Either way, it is funny.

07DominatorSS 07-21-2010 09:55 PM

This is a new product from AMSOIL, give it a shot! I've heard nothing but rave reviews!

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aqs.aspx

BY U BOY 07-21-2010 10:42 PM

I use seafoam no problems so far.

jeff1000man 07-21-2010 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by BY U BOY (Post 3165060)
I use seafoam no problems so far.

Your boat hasn't been in the water in 2 years. Of course you aren't having any problems.