Skater 30 / ILMOR Indy Upgrade

Notices

Skater 30 / ILMOR Indy Upgrade

Old 07-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ILMORdude
Thats transmission loss. Total loss with drive is around 30hp
How does that compare w/ the total loss hooked up to a bravo style Teague or IMCO? Do you have any such data??

UD

If you want to make thje trek to the east coast I'll give you a ride, maybe even let you drive!

I'm as anxious as anyone to experience the difference in performance & handling. The part I dread is starting all over from a prop testing standpoint especially when they are 2x+ as much. Hope my fellow boaters & Skater can get me close b/c once I pick the boat up from Skater my propeller inventory for testing will be gone.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Registered

A few pics of the tedius work that goes into mocking up the engine & drive in order to get the proper driveline angle & alignment resulting in the fabbing up of new motor mounts
Attached Thumbnails Skater 30 / ILMOR Indy Upgrade-motormount-fab.jpg   Skater 30 / ILMOR Indy Upgrade-motormount-tacked.jpg   Skater 30 / ILMOR Indy Upgrade-motormount.jpg  

Skater 30 / ILMOR Indy Upgrade-motormount-finished.jpg  
Old 07-25-2010, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NASCAT
How does that compare w/ the total loss hooked up to a bravo style Teague or IMCO? Do you have any such data??

UD

If you want to make thje trek to the east coast I'll give you a ride, maybe even let you drive!

I'm as anxious as anyone to experience the difference in performance & handling. The part I dread is starting all over from a prop testing standpoint especially when they are 2x+ as much. Hope my fellow boaters & Skater can get me close b/c once I pick the boat up from Skater my propeller inventory for testing will be gone.
Searching...the last number I read was 55HP @ 5500 it was more at 6K.

I saw a comprehensive breakdown that used a dyno to spin a series of drives and backcompute the loss. - I'm looking for it.

Im pretty lucky - for a nominal fee Teague shows up with a truck full of props at the lake

Uncle Dave
Old 07-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Searching...the last number I read was 55HP @ 5500 it was more at 6K.

Im pretty lucky - for a nominal fee Teague shows up with a truck full of props at the lake

Uncle Dave
I was hoping IlmorDude would have some test data w/ regard to h.p. loss thru a bravo style drive w/ Ilmor angine in front of it.

Sounds like you have awesome resources when it comes to prop resources.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool upgrade! Congrats.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:33 PM
Registered

I was hoping IlmorDude would have some test data w/ regard to h.p. loss thru a bravo style drive w/ Ilmor angine in front of it.

Sounds like you have awesome resources when it comes to prop resources.
Give me til tuesday around noon and i'll see what i came come up with.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:05 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Comparing parasitic drag in a Bravo setup to parasitic drag in an Indy (or NXT or #6) setup would be interesting, but not necessarily relevant. The Bravo package has nowhere near the torque capacity of the Indy. A more relevant comparison would be between the Indy, the NXT and the #6 packages, including transmissions.

NASCAT - Good luck with the process. Your photos remind me of where I was with my 725/Indy installation back in April! At least I didn't have the rear engine mount/drive coupler installation issue; my package installion was very straightforward.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Comparing parasitic drag in a Bravo setup to parasitic drag in an Indy (or NXT or #6) setup would be interesting, but not necessarily relevant. The Bravo package has nowhere near the torque capacity of the Indy. A more relevant comparison would be between the Indy, the NXT and the #6 packages, including transmissions.

NASCAT - Good luck with the process. Your photos remind me of where I was with my 725/Indy installation back in April! At least I didn't have the rear engine mount/drive coupler installation issue; my package installion was very straightforward.
My reasoning for asking what the bravo parasitic h.p. loss is wasn't from a comparing apples to apples of similar drives but an exact comparison between what I'm removing & replacing it with. IlmorDude says loss of 30hp through the entire driveline I was hoping to know what the loss was w/ the previous setup.

I don't know that I can say your custom install was easier but I think you were more so starting w/ a clean sheet of paper once you filled in all your stringer & transom holes.

I haven't received / posted any of the reworked hatch scoops pics that was required for header clearance yet but that should shed some light on the domino effect of engine relocation in order to achieve the proper driveline angle! So yes I agree a retro fit like mine involves a different set of hurdles & then we can multipy those hurdles x2 engines!

Last edited by NASCAT; 07-26-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by C_Spray

Its relevant in that every HP you deliver to the water means something.

To date almost all Ilmor packages are packaged with Bravos- "recovering" lost power and gaining reliability are both selling points IMO.

UD
Old 07-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

..I haven't received / posted any of the reworked hatch scoops pics that was required for header clearance yet but that should shed some light on the domino effect of engine relocation in order to achieve the proper driveline angle!...
You can join me in lobbying Ilmor for a 4" shortie. Say, about 14" or 15" from the crank CL to the propshaft CL? I'd love to get my engine back down into the bottom of the bilge and remove "Make header blisters" from the job list...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.