Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Winter Storage (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/235481-winter-storage.html)

double_trouble 07-25-2010 07:33 PM

Winter Storage

New boat won't fit in garage. Options:

1. Heated building at a marina - unusually expensive in my area (demand exceeds supply).
2. Blue Shrink Wrap
3. Cold indoor storage at a marina (nothing close but could expand search)
4. Buy a trailer and then seek something out such as an airport hanger (no marine transport companies in local area).

Home port is Bayfield, WI. Lots of snow and ice.

Any comments on the pros/cons of heated storage, indoor cold storage, and the shrink wrap? Obviously I want to take care of her but I prefer to spend my boating dollars on things other than storage. I was once thinking shrink wrap, but that doesn't sound so great, as I have now heard mold and chafing can be an issue with that. Sorry to bring up this topic in July.

flat rate 07-25-2010 09:27 PM

heated indoor storage would be great but all u need is a clean rodent free place with a roof and good covers.

glassdave 07-25-2010 10:38 PM

please tell me we're not talking about winter storage already :picard1:

:D

Sydwayz 07-25-2010 10:41 PM

Send it to Florida. Done.

Mastercraft240 07-25-2010 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 3167639)
Send it to Florida. Done.

Dude.... seriously. I would never have my boat shrink wrapped again. I couldn't count on two hands how many new scratches and shrink rash I found on the boat. Not sure how big your boat is but using www.uship.com , you can do it relativley cheaply. And go boating once a month in the wintertime :)

double_trouble 07-26-2010 08:17 AM

Sorry again for brining this up so early. Some of the indoor storage places around here on the water already have a wait list for this winter. Shrink wrap sounds not good. I buy a trailer and find a place not adjacent to the water for winter storage, is it safe to assume the transport rates quoted from uship or wherever would be substantially less, because only a truck with the proper permits is needed? There wouldn't be the limitation of finding a hauler with a marina trailer.

Harvey 07-26-2010 09:03 AM

Try to find a warehouse or large storage building. I store my Tog Gun in a warehouse for a 100.00 a month in the winter. Some farmers here in NC will store your boat if they have space for 600.00.

Rippem 07-26-2010 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by mastercraft240 (Post 3167656)
Dude.... seriously. I would never have my boat shrink wrapped again. I couldn't count on two hands how many new scratches and shrink rash I found on the boat.

then it wasn't done properly with stand-off blocks ect, ect.

plus the boats gotta be clean the day it's wrapped not covered in parking lot dirt
and preferrably not in a windblown dirt environment after the fact- that's where scuffing comes from- DIRT
again, a relative non issue if stand-off foam blocks are used and the wrap is kept from laying FLAT anywhere on the gel with proper tenting supports and stand-offs
properly done this way, humidity is also minimized

where the wrap has to draw down flat on gel (rear bustle, deck aside the hatch ect) old sheets or pieces thereof get the job done.

I suggest anyone that has shrink wrap horror story to find a new place to have it done!
and contribute to the process!

lightning jet 07-26-2010 06:14 PM

2.00 dollors a foot per month inside heat alarm toledo

The Get Away 07-26-2010 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by lightning jet (Post 3168337)
2.00 dollors a foot per month inside heat alarm toledo

That seems to be dirt cheap. It would be worth paying a little more to not have to worry about winterinzing it.