Notices

Just Once....

Old 07-25-2010, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts
Thumbs down Just Once....

Just once I'd like to go out boating and not have something breakdown... After spending a ton of money on motor and drive upgrades it seems the weakest link are the transmissions hands down...

This is the third time in a little over a year that I've had reverse fail on a transmission... And before anyone chimes in NO it wasn't subjected to anything other than idle rpm and nowhere near the so called 2,000 rpm limit....

They are so pathetically fragile there has to be a better solution... I'll surmise that these transmissions have oh maybe three hours on them total and probably not that much. The wife and I just got back from a nice little spin and one of them just quit going into reverse...

If anyone has any reasonably priced solution I'm open for suggestions... This is getting ridiculous and I need to find something that will last an entire season....
Old 07-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear this... it's always something! Aren't the Okie boys using something that's supposed to be bullet-proof?
Old 07-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain , bought boat with bad drive but I knew that going in. Bought a rebuilt Plat. XR from Teague, life is good. Testing props at LOTO doing 68mph back off throttle boat takes a right turn on its own, boom gimbel ring worn out idle back to dock within 10 ft of dock you guessed it engine coupler lets go have maybe 4hrs of boating time this year. Got a hp coupler from my main man SDFever and gimbal repaired from JR Marine got the whole thing installed today. Good news is fired the boat in the drive way and it fired right up sounding good next step is put her in the lake and see what happens. Hopefully my only problem now is gas money
Old 07-25-2010, 08:28 PM
Registered

Fountain4play what kind of drives are you useing and how much power you running about 600hp on my Teague thats about the only thing that hasnt failed on me supposed to be rated for 900p
Old 07-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by firehawkcat
Fountain4play what kind of drives are you useing and how much power you running about 600hp on my Teague thats about the only thing that hasnt failed on me supposed to be rated for 900p
I have Arneson ASD-7's and new Eddie Young 925EFI's. Drives and Motors are holding up well it's the transmissions that haven't been able to hold up and its always the reverse gear... Two of them failed last year with my Merc 525 / Whipples and they put out around 735 hp...
Old 07-25-2010, 09:12 PM
VIP Member

Contact either Tyson (bigyellowcat) here or Jim Lee here on the board. They have built a trans that I believe is what youneed. Do a search here.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

did you replace the cooler and lines after the first failer ?
Old 07-25-2010, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by lightning jet
did you replace the cooler and lines after the first failer ?
Should have put that in my first post...Yes the cooler was replaced each and every time...it's not the problem the transmission is what the problem is...
Old 07-25-2010, 09:46 PM
Registered

Call Tyson, you will want the transmissions he builds!

417-437-0665
Old 07-25-2010, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

1.When the transmission went south the first time did the same company rebuild the transmissions again?
2.Was there a warr.with the rebuild???
3. Did you buy a new trans.? or just have it rebuilt again?
Thanks

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.