Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   MTI Turnout Looking Light for LOTO Shootout (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/235626-mti-turnout-looking-light-loto-shootout.html)

schnydo 07-29-2010 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 3170717)
This thread got me thinking........ (an almost extinct habit practiced by performance boaters prior to 1995)

I am admittedly a strong proponent of Peter Hledin and his product over all others. Yet, you ask, if Skaters are so good why do so many otherwise intelligent and successful folks line up to buy Brand "Alphabet", and Brand "ic"?

In an attempt to explain this I have listed the questions currently used to choose a high end Catamaran.

1. Who offers the best paint job?
2. Which one does my dead broke buddy like?
3. Which one do the guys in the bar rave about?
4. Which one put the name of the car that I drive on a hull?
5. Which one built a boat themed with my favorite comic book hero?
6. Which one is easiest to spell?
7. Which one is the official hull of Amos and Andy's "Mystic Knights of the Sea"?

The correct answers to the above questions will offer you an amazing boating experience, wherein you will spend top dollar for something fancy and expensive.

Maybe that's the new reality?

HEY SKATER'S CATCHING UP

LubeJobs42 07-29-2010 08:34 PM

You have to remember, there have not been many if any boats consistently running the speeds the Mystics run. JBS runs in the 170's to upper 180's all the time. There not many skaters, MTI's or anything else that can run those speeds especially for any length of time.

When we did our speed run the one thing JT brought up is what is the speed that an MTI can handle before worrying about a delam problem.

I know quite a few Skaters that had major delam problems. Several of them from being in storage.

I would not knock Mystic. They are the first to be building boats to run over 200. I would think any of the other makes would have the same problems if they ran the same speeds.

omerta one 07-29-2010 09:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio (Post 3170982)
"This is gonna be great!"—Kent "Flounder" Dorfman.

I agree...this year is looking particulalry strong. Kudos to Ron Duggan who not only stepped up and kept the legacy intact but found a way to grow and improve the event.

Just look at the hardware, let the smack begin

but don't forget...this is Missouri.

frankenstein 07-29-2010 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 3170717)
This thread got me thinking........ (an almost extinct habit practiced by performance boaters prior to 1995)

I am admittedly a strong proponent of Peter Hledin and his product over all others. Yet, you ask, if Skaters are so good why do so many otherwise intelligent and successful folks line up to buy Brand "Alphabet", and Brand "ic"?

In an attempt to explain this I have listed the questions currently used to choose a high end Catamaran.

1. Who offers the best paint job?
2. Which one does my dead broke buddy like?
3. Which one do the guys in the bar rave about?
4. Which one put the name of the car that I drive on a hull?
5. Which one built a boat themed with my favorite comic book hero?
6. Which one is easiest to spell?
7. Which one is the official hull of Amos and Andy's "Mystic Knights of the Sea"?

The correct answers to the above questions will offer you an amazing boating experience, wherein you will spend top dollar for something fancy and expensive.

Maybe that's the new reality?

Come on now, with some light studying, you can spell Scater, I mean Squater, I mean Skeeter, oohhh nevermind. PS: If anyone wants to give me their Skater or MTI or Mystic because they are pieces of crap, just PM me. Good luck to all and Godspeed

Boyd Racing Eng 07-29-2010 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by KiloKat (Post 3170757)
Lil confused by this one T2x. All boats are subject to delamination.

I remember when JT and Forest Barber delammed their 46 Skater during the '99 KW World Championships, took it to Eddie Guardado in N. Miami where they worked around the clock in order for JT & FB to win the title on Sunday by beating Jerry Gilbreath & Matt Alcone.

Then, during the 2003 World Championships in Orange Beach, Alabama, my 46 Skater delammed and I had to fly Eddie and his crew in to work around the clock to repair it in order for JT & I to go on and win that title.

I couldn't help but notice the two key phrases "win the title on Sunday" and "go on and win that title" in this post.

thumper038 07-30-2010 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat (Post 3171030)
So what I got out of this was.. Some patched together skaters still got first place...
Kind of reminds me of Bimini challenge this year..

Some Ole patched Skater still took first place!!!
PRICELESS!!!:drink:

T2x 07-30-2010 08:50 AM

I agree that all boat manufactirers suffer from occasional delamination. Heck our first Shadow Cat race hull delam'd.

Then we made them better....... you live and learn.

Probably the thing to focus on is what percentage of a specific builder's hulls delaminated, and in what conditions.

Peter has built I guess over a thousand hulls and has had problems with ....? ( I'm guessing 1 or 2%, but I could be wrong).

Others have built 6 hulls and have issues with...?

Look nobody is perfect....and , to me, the guy I want to work with is someone who is humble enough to admit it...and experienced enough to do something about it.

I also have this funny phobia about people who copy other people's designs....but that's a whole 'nuther story. ;)

thumper038 07-30-2010 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 3171449)
I also have this funny phobia about people who copy other people's designs....but that's a whole 'nuther story. ;)

:eek::popcorn::poopoo:

thumper038 07-30-2010 09:50 AM

There is a reason why other perfomance boat manufactures have used Peter to build their boats and the History of Skater said it all for me. I wanted a Skater from the time I could stand up!:coolcowboy:
Then there is this,
"JBS update

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Exploding turbines-failure analysis report will be published soon.

Delaminating mystic-the boat is going to Skater today to get fixed.__________________"

Found this on another post.
Skater Nation:party-smiley-020:

WeaponX 07-31-2010 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by omerta one (Post 3169686)
THIS is a skater...

Looks like that might hurt.:drink: