Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Mistery transaction from this boat company... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/236045-mistery-transaction-boat-company.html)

FOXMXPSYCHO 08-02-2010 06:20 PM

Mistery transaction from this boat company...

Is anyone familiar with www.magnumoutboard.com? our last bank statement from our business account has a Check Card purchase for $2,406.10 that we never authorized, let alone ever even heard of them. Our business has absolutely nothing to do with the boating industry. I have already contacted the fraud departmet and filed a claim but since it is a boating website I figured Id ask you fellow boaters for any info on them.?

thanks

SinOjos 08-02-2010 09:36 PM

Your credit card numbers may have been stolen, they could have been stolen in a number of ways. My own hosting company a couple of weeks ago, had 129 attempts at using stolen credit cards in a couple of hours for starters. I cross check ip address's and verify all new accounts before credit cards are authorized.

When I see traceroutes with an initiating ip address from Hanio Vietnam, and the name and address is from Michigan, something is usually up. They were also operating within the US. They called themselves "Dark Force Group".

I talked to a number of the owners of the credit cards, they knew nothing of my company nor nothing about web hosting or what it was. They had no idea that their credit cards had been stolen. It was not just one of their cards but a number of their credit cards in some cases.

Keep in mind that a good majority of the credit cards stolen are from retailers. Waitress's/Waiters are also famous for using pocket scanners at restaurants. You can even purchase a phone with a built in scanner now.

Many retailers are starting to use wireless devices for lower cost and ease of use/installation. Unfortunately it allows someone wardriving to sit a block away and be able to infiltrate the retailers credit card processing network. This has happened numerous times with some of the biggest retailers, and in some cases resulted in millions of cards being stolen with one infiltration. In some cases they emplace code that keeps sending them new batches of credit card numbers over a period of time.

Crooks in some cases hide a passive receiver/laptop running kismet nearby and collect all the network data packets over a period of time. Then analyze it and decrypt that data to find passwords and weakness's and then infiltrate.

This works also works with home wireless networks. Your neighbors can use kismet a passive packet recorder to collect everything you do on your wireless system. If you are running a wireless internet device and do not have wep turned on, it is really easy to read the packets, as they do not have to be decrypted. Always us the highest wep setting and use long password/pass-phases that contain numbers and letters. You cannot stop someone that really knows what they are doing. But by practicing basic security procedures you can stop 99% who are simple script-kiddies.

A number of years ago at the black hat conference. The FBI team demonstrated breaking 128 bit encryption with a laptop in less than 3 mins. 128 bit encryption is the minimum requirement for US banks to use, now going to 256. But then with computers getting better, it will now only take a few minutes to break 256 bit encryption.

No matter what you do, using a computer for online purchases, going to dinner, or going to the mall. Your credit card is subject to being stolen. The use of pin numbers and or bio metrics will eventually be integrated into doing every kind of card transaction. Then a whole new round will begin!

FOXMXPSYCHO 08-02-2010 10:12 PM

Wow that is definitly something to think about. That is some very interesting information I did not know. I did know it was possible to get hacked during an online transaction, but I didnt know how many ther ways and how easy it is to get jacked. Our card was disabled immediatly after getting off the phone with the fraud department I wish I noticed the money missing sooner because this happened 6-28-10 over a month ago. Found it during a routine bank statment check up, the amount and the retailer just did not make any sense. I called them but they were already closed so I didnt waste any time calling the bank.
If anyone has any info on them let me know.

Thanks

36Tango 08-03-2010 08:22 AM

In our business, we have a bunch of employees that have credit cards for business purposes. To gain some rewards, I wantde to begin making product purchases on a credit card, which would have meant a higher limit. The bank tells me that unlike a personal card, I would be responsible for 100% if there was any fraudulant transactions. I think that personally it is capped at 50 bucks. Anybody have any insight?

Indiana Rage 08-03-2010 12:12 PM

I had this happen last year with same company as the one you mentioned. Chase is the one that caught it before I got my statement. There was 4 purchases on my card that totaled 4500.00, Chase voided them and closed card. Ther reissued me new cards with different acount, had them in about a week. Sorry this happened to you, hopefully it goes as well as it did for me.

FOXMXPSYCHO 08-03-2010 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Indiana Rage (Post 3173932)
I had this happen last year with same company as the one you mentioned. Chase is the one that caught it before I got my statement. There was 4 purchases on my card that totaled 4500.00, Chase voided them and closed card. Ther reissued me new cards with different acount, had them in about a week. Sorry this happened to you, hopefully it goes as well as it did for me.

are you saying the same company as in "Magnum outboard"?

Indiana Rage 08-03-2010 05:38 PM

Sorry I read it wrong, I believe the one on mine was Magnum Marine. This happened last year.