Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Raylar- Nothing but problems (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/236141-raylar-nothing-but-problems.html)

Wobble 08-04-2010 11:35 AM

Hawks, I would most definitely have someone re-torque your heads and check the adjustment on your valve train. Good luck going forward.

hawks407 08-04-2010 11:39 AM

Gas was brand new. It was so low when we where having problems right after doing the kit that we took it and put 20 Gallons in to make sure it wasn't a problem, then filled it on the way to the river (no ethanol).

You guys talking about the cast pistons are making my point. Don't mess with the 496. Ray isn't going to tell you this.

BONDO10 08-04-2010 12:10 PM

Not picking sides. But going back to the first motor,I for one would never run a motor with the improper ecm,or ecm tune for that matter.The ecm that Ray provides is tuned to his particular kit.You stated how rich the motor was running and still choose to take it out. Just my 2 cents

hawks407 08-04-2010 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by BONDO10 (Post 3174887)
Not picking sides. But going back to the first motor,I for one would never run a motor with the improper ecm,or ecm tune for that matter.The ecm that Ray provides is tuned to his particular kit.You stated how rich the motor was running and still choose to take it out. Just my 2 cents

Ray told me to. He also said that they were programmed the same.

Knot 4 Me 08-04-2010 12:23 PM

From the post-mortem done by Ray on the first motor, it sounds like the piston broke from over-speed. A chance you take when pushing a mass-produced, production motor spec'd hypereutic piston beyond its intended operating speed. As for the second motor, do some searches on Raylar valve springs and rocker arm retaining nuts.

Wobble 08-04-2010 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Wobble (Post 3174854)
Hawks, I would most definitely have someone re-torque your heads and check the adjustment on your valve train. Good luck going forward.

EDIT

from an old thread.

Originally Posted by articfriends (Post 1534609)
It sound like your upgrade kit is a good package,what brand rocker nuts are failing,do you have solid info on the time frame of the bad batch? The reason I ask is in first 15 hours of run time this year on the new motor I built I had several comp cam pro-magnum rocker nuts crack right below the adjuster hex and back off ,once it caused moderate damage. They were bought in march or april of 05. I tighten them by feel to around 15 foot lbs. I have used different versions of locking rocker nuts on at least 50 different motors Ive built and other than this motor I have only had a nut crack once in the past (It was a cheap imported looking harland- sharp). I ended up switching all the rocker nuts to arp's and haven't had any more breakage in 30 hours of run time,Smitty

Maybe you should invest in some ARP rocker nuts just to be sure.

launchpad475 08-04-2010 01:28 PM

Interesting read, usually at this point Raylar chimes in for his version. I'd like to hear that side also.

<<Also it is my understanding that 8.1's come with hyper-eutectic pistons.>>

With regard to the weak hyper pathetic pistions (old term), could a guy put stronger pistons in to alleviate that problem?

Or, does this get you in to just rebuilding the thing top to bottom to make it stay together. ...which would also not really be a 'bolt on kit'

Great thread, keep it going.

TCBoss302 08-04-2010 03:22 PM

All of this to pick up how much horsepower???? And on a Bravo 1x drive at best. This is just asking for constant problems. And add on the fact that Raylar is sending him junk parts (if this is indeed true) to get through a weekend.....WTF!

Mastercraft240 08-04-2010 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by TCBoss302 (Post 3175055)
the fact that Raylar is sending him junk parts (if this is indeed true) to get through a weekend.....WTF!

That's sounds extremely weird to me.:eek:

mptrimshop 08-04-2010 03:50 PM

i have a feeling this is going to get interesting