Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Mercury 1350 In Production (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/236489-mercury-1350-production.html)

ItsPeanut 08-10-2010 06:16 PM

Why whistle when you can roar.

BigSilverCat 08-10-2010 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by ItsPeanut (Post 3179437)
Why whistle when you can roar.

turbo= no roar

SME1 08-10-2010 08:07 PM

I know the Cigarette at Miami had the 1350's. Any other builders have a set and testing them? Any feedback?

ILMORdude 08-10-2010 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Gladhe8er (Post 3178322)
I bet the number is not huge. Takes well over a hundred hours to hand-assemble these things.

I'd like to see exactly why it takes over 2 work weeks to assemble. I realize its a beast of engine and yes it is bada$$ ....BUT really? Over a hundred hours?

Catmando 08-10-2010 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by ILMORdude (Post 3179637)
I'd like to see exactly why it takes over 2 work weeks to assemble. I realize its a beast of engine and yes it is bada$$ ....BUT really? Over a hundred hours?

That's a good question. How long does it take to assemble an Ilmor engine? How long does it take Teague to build one of his 1200 motors? Sterling? Eddie Young? Tommy?

ILMORdude 08-10-2010 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 3179649)
That's a good question. How long does it take to assemble an Ilmor engine? How long does it take Teague to build one of his 1200 motors? Sterling? Eddie Young? Tommy?

The Ilmor V-10 is a basic N/A push rod engine. Apples to oranges compared to a big honkin forced induction motor. But i'd also like to know how long it takes Sterling or Chief, Merc etc....to assemble these monsters

Young Performance 08-10-2010 10:30 PM

I don't know and can't speak for the others, but it takes me about 300-350 hours to completely assemble a pair of my 1200's. Am I slow....sure. Am I careful....yes. That is intentional. I could certainly bolt all of the parts together in an afternoon, but chances are good that they would come right back apart......no tools required.:drink:
The above time does not include machine work or dyno time, however it includes all of the prep, cleaning (which is probably half of the total time) assembly, wiring, plumbing, etc. I have literally spent 2 full days fitting main bearings alone in one block. But that is why I can stand behind them. If you use the best parts and take the time to do it right, then it should stay together. Bottom line....it takes a TON of time to do it right and you can not rush it.
Eddie

Matt Trulio 08-10-2010 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Young Performance (Post 3179716)
I don't know and can't speak for the others, but it takes me about 300-350 hours to completely assemble a pair of my 1200's. Am I slow....sure. Am I careful....yes. That is intentional. I could certainly bolt all of the parts together in an afternoon, but chances are good that they would come right back apart......no tools required.:drink:
The above time does not include machine work or dyno time, however it includes all of the prep, cleaning (which is probably half of the total time) assembly, wiring, plumbing, etc. I have literally spent 2 full days fitting main bearings alone in one block. But that is why I can stand behind them. If you use the best parts and take the time to do it right, then it should stay together. Bottom line....it takes a TON of time to do it right and you can not rush it.
Eddie

Using Eddie's math (and I've heard similar work-hour numbers in like power engines from Teague and Sterling), the 100-hour mark per 1350 engine makes perfect.

To answer another question: The AMG Cigarette is the only boat currently equipped and running with 1350s. As I mentioned in my article, the first production pair of 1350s began build-up in late July. They likely are done by now, but I don't know if they've been shipped and I know they haven't been installed and rigged as of right now.

Quinlan 08-11-2010 06:56 AM

What manufacture are they going to?

Matt Trulio 08-11-2010 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Quinlan (Post 3179827)
What manufacture are they going to?

Pretty sure they're going to MTI, though I don't have confirmation on that.