Mercury 1350 In Production

Notices

Mercury 1350 In Production

Old 08-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Headed to a 48' MTI I believe.

A nice red one that has been patiently waiting since the motors were announced.

WindShip is her name I think.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know what the maintenance intervals are on these? Hrs on engine before rebuilds, cost of rebuilds? Plus, who is qualified to do the maintenance....
Old 08-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff P31
Did anybody hear the test numbers from the AMG cig. or was it just built as a show peace ?
Its running close to 140 so far.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Big Time
Does anyone know what the maintenance intervals are on these? Hrs on engine before rebuilds, cost of rebuilds? Plus, who is qualified to do the maintenance....
Im very curious about this as the Merc 1000+ HP units have RIDICULOUS maintenance (like 25 hour inspections) intervals and costs. I've seen twin engine planes cheaper to maintain, and along those lines you can watch high HP merc boats values sink in direct proportion to rebuild time - just like a plane.

Id bet these are better as the valvetrain is a big part of the issues and these are far closer to ideal from an actuation standpoint.

Not that a guy looking at this package probably cares, but its good to know so we can all dream.

Im totally spoiled with my Ilmor products relative lack of maintenance.

Uncle Dave
Old 08-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Im very curious about this as the Merc 1000+ HP units have RIDICULOUS maintenance (like 25 hour inspections) intervals and costs.

I've seen twin engine planes cheaper to maintain, and along those lines you can watch high HP merc boats values sink in direct proportion to rebuild time - just like a plane.
To really try to stay ahead of any potential failures on motors of this size, having them tuned & looked over on every oil change, or every other one, is essential. It does cost money, but it's pennies compared to having one fail. A fluid change, valve check, & overall "physical" can help you catch a loose bolt, cracked belt, sticky valve, etc, before it finds you.

I think you may be referring to the rebuild cost of the Mercury 1075 packages, when you mention the ridiculous service intervals? They are done at approximately 100-120 hours, and cost roughly $20-$25k per motor to REBUILD, if nothing is already broken. You still do regular valve checks, fluid changes, etc, during that 100-120 hour period, but it's not at all insane on the price, unless the mechanic doing it is really sticking it to you. Mercury doesn't have to do the regular service work, unless you just want them to.

You shouldn't be paying a lot more to have the oil changed on a 1075, than you would on a stock 502, other than the difference in cost for the type of oil you choose to run. A valve job isn't astronomical either, as long as you don't have one sticking out of your head, or block, lol.

I think the new Mercury 1300/1350, is the biggest step forward in high performance boating, that I can remember for a long time. Being able to run HUNDREDS of hours, with that kind of horsepower, torque, and do it all on 91 octane WITH a one year warranty, is just incredible.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BLee
To really try to stay ahead of any potential failures on motors of this size, having them tuned & looked over on every oil change, or every other one, is essential. It does cost money, but it's pennies compared to having one fail. A fluid change, valve check, & overall "physical" can help you catch a loose bolt, cracked belt, sticky valve, etc, before it finds you.

I think you may be referring to the rebuild cost of the Mercury 1075 packages, when you mention the ridiculous service intervals? They are done at approximately 100-120 hours, and cost roughly $20-$25k per motor to REBUILD, if nothing is already broken. You still do regular valve checks, fluid changes, etc, during that 100-120 hour period, but it's not at all insane on the price, unless the mechanic doing it is really sticking it to you. Mercury doesn't have to do the regular service work, unless you just want them to.

You shouldn't be paying a lot more to have the oil changed on a 1075, than you would on a stock 502, other than the difference in cost for the type of oil you choose to run. A valve job isn't astronomical either, as long as you don't have one sticking out of your head, or block, lol.

I think the new Mercury 1300/1350, is the biggest step forward in high performance boating, that I can remember for a long time. Being able to run HUNDREDS of hours, with that kind of horsepower, torque, and do it all on 91 octane WITH a one year warranty, is just incredible.

There are several good threads about this, many have your feedback in them.

Ive seen various inspections and rebuild intervals quoted on the older Merc engines I read somewhere the valve inspection interval on the older engines was like 25 hours.

This would mean at even my moderate level of use- I would end up taking a boat into the shop for inspection every single trip I take.

Agreed this is a huge step forward.

UD
Old 08-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Registered

http://www.mercuryracing.com/_media/pdf/freshenup.pdf

The very first sentence basically says it all.

UD
Old 08-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
http://www.mercuryracing.com/_media/pdf/freshenup.pdf

The very first sentence basically says it all.

UD
Looks like those big valves and seats get beat up quick.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve 1
Looks like those big valves and seats get beat up quick.
Sure seems like it.
I hope one can get those valve covers off without removing headers- other wise what a PIA.

The new stuff looks just awesome, and I wonder what the operational costs really are.

UD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.