Just ordered $450 worth of stuff from slideanchor.com >

Just ordered $450 worth of stuff from slideanchor.com

Notices

Just ordered $450 worth of stuff from slideanchor.com

Old 08-10-2010, 08:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I anchor mostly in sand/mud, so no problem with limited scope. At least half the scope as with the fluke. Clay is harder, so you may have to work it in by using reverse to set it. I have a 15' chain that I would use only for very gusty or high wind days, or in hard clay as stated.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been eyeing these anchors for a while now and from what I'm reading I think it's time to get one. My new (to me) 35 fountain doesn't have an anchor locker like my old boat, so this sounds like the ticket. Do you guys think I could get away with a small or should I just get the large and be done with it?
Old 08-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have heard of guys at the lake with 42's using the small in the coves and never budge. From what I have read on here through other post the small is plenty for anything under 40ft.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:54 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by northerndoc
I've been eyeing these anchors for a while now and from what I'm reading I think it's time to get one. My new (to me) 35 fountain doesn't have an anchor locker like my old boat, so this sounds like the ticket. Do you guys think I could get away with a small or should I just get the large and be done with it?
I think it depends on the bottom, if it's firm a "small" will hold a flotilla. I always set my gps anchor watch alarm in any case but have never dragged my small on my 29' I usually have at least one or two other boats riding on my anchor.

Now if you are planning on sleeping at anchor than I would say that you should buy the recommended size for your vessel, likewise if the bottom is soft.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bert4332
Well I like mine "ok", I was so excited when I got it, but it's pain to set in hard clay like conditions, just as much as the previous anchor. Sometime it work incredible and sometime I'm cursing the thing to death. Additionally it holds a ton of mud on the inner underside, so I have to constantly dunk it in and out of the water to get the mud off. Watch your fingers and warn others, a buddy pull the pin out and it collapsed down and his fingers. I really think it depends on your bottom of where you are boating.
It is after all- an anchor and no matter how good can be challenging, but Id still put it up against any I have tried for ease of setting, and Ive always "outset" my old v plow, and any buddies using anything else.

Mud holding - agreed- the inner part of the box can hold a lot of mud and Ive even had 10-15 lb rocks make it all the way to the surface nestled inside. I usually have a half gallon plastic jug standing by to wash the mud off.

As far as pulling the pin and crushing your finger- well you have to be just a bit smarter than the machine you're working.

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 08-10-2010 at 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-10-2010, 10:11 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave

As far as pulling the pin and crushing your finger- well you have to be just a bit smarter than the machine your working.

UD
LOL, I wasn't going to go there
Old 08-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

I've used them for 7 years and love it. I have a the small version, but don;t let the word "small" fool you. It will hold a pretty good sized boat. My mian purpose is normally in raftups or hooked just off the beach I have a 20' dock line looped thru it and I motor up, toss it in tied to the aft cleat and forget about it. Easy to deal with upon departure as well this way. If I need to due a wind chop or current flow issue, I will just walk the line up to the bow ring on the nose and clip it with a stainless clip. Again easy on, easy off.

I've always wondered how well or practical the boarding ladder works.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
As far as pulling the pin and crushing your finger- well you have to be just a bit smarter than the machine you're working.
UD
I tried telling him, but he hauled up about an extra 12lbs of mud and it kicked his ass getting it off by working it up and down on the surface, finally he gets it clean and I hear him cursing up a storm, I knew exactly what happened!

Adding a chain, guess I have no choice, just more weight to haul up.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bert4332
I tried telling him, but he hauled up about an extra 12lbs of mud and it kicked his ass getting it off by working it up and down on the surface, finally he gets it clean and I hear him cursing up a storm, I knew exactly what happened!

Adding a chain, guess I have no choice, just more weight to haul up.
Thats pretty funny! and Ive had a friend do that as well, but I promised not to roast him, and already forwarded the link.

As for the chain- a little bit goes a long way and everything else Ive seen absolutely NEEDS chain to set at all so your still ahead with the box.

UD
Old 08-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Will a Small Box Anchor fit in a standard size anchor locker when folded up or do you need to hide it some where else?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.