Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Mercruiser, Cummins & VW marine alliance (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/236736-mercruiser-cummins-vw-marine-alliance.html)

Catmando 08-12-2010 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by offthefront (Post 3181150)
why cant we build stuff like that here ....this is the problem ....

VW is a German company so they wanted to locate it there. I would guess Cummins put in their bid for America as well...

Catmando 08-12-2010 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by wideawake (Post 3181254)
Until this govt. admits that their policies are driving business overseas, this will continue.

Not gonna happen with Progressive politicians in office.

The only "Progressive" politicians I know of are Feingold, Grayson and Kucinich. We need more like them.

Steve 1 08-12-2010 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix (Post 3181205)
Companies outsource engineering also, no UAW in engineering.

My last company had a goal to reduce US and Germany engineering by 50% before 2012, and send it to China and India. It just keeps moving up the ladder.:bsflag:

I was referring to the work force in the NON right to work states! there are only 22 of them union free BTW.

Catmando 08-12-2010 04:07 PM

The only point I am trying to make is that large companies see they can outsource just about anything, it is a constant downward pressure on our wages and therefore our standard of living. Wildman

It's called "Race To The Bottom" for wages. Plus the unions are getting killed and there's no tariffs on imports. The other countries put tariffs on our goods but we don't tariff their goods. This is what "Free Trade" means; high exports to the US for other countries, low exports for America. Money for them, unemployment and poverty for America.

Uncle Dave 08-12-2010 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by phragle (Post 3181159)
we can, but not cost effectivly

Bingo.

We can design, build, and execute better than anyone in the world. We just cant do it cheaper than anyone.

UD

phragle 08-12-2010 04:24 PM

Cat..it is a race, a race for many other nations to enjoy the prosperity America saw for many years.

If you think of it like a foot race...

America trained for years, worked hard and with great purpose... We were wining marathons, crossing the finishline and relaxing in the shade before second place showed up. We got so confident in our ability we got lazy, stopped training and started eating double cheeseburgers, we got fat, lazy and demanded to be treated like champions.

Now other nations are routinely beating us across the finish line and enjpoying the spoils of victory as we sit here fat, bloated and out of shape, trying to catch our breath and your suggesting we put pebbles (tarrifs) in the shoes of our competitors so we can win again.

We won before by making products with a 'made in america' lable that ment you were getting something top notch, better than anybody elses, affordable and worth every penny. but your suggestingt we cheat because we got fat and lazy.

golfmaxgolf 08-12-2010 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Steve 1 (Post 3181198)
Three letters- UAW!

NOT! The UAW workforce has consistantly Stepped up to help the Big 3 When ever they have cried about profits! it's always the workforce that gets cut! And the Braintrust running the place continue to grow in #'s. P.s. The Ability and technology exist here it just continues to move south of the border to expand that profit margin! (Fo Mo Co) Brookpark,Oh Foundry Closing early Fall 2010 Rich

Steve 1 08-12-2010 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by golfmaxgolf (Post 3181306)
NOT! The UAW workforce has consistantly Stepped up to help the Big 3 When ever they have cried about profits! it's always the workforce that gets cut! And the Braintrust running the place continue to grow in #'s. P.s. The Ability and technology exist here it just continues to move south of the border to expand that profit margin! (Fo Mo Co) Brookpark,Oh Foundry Closing early Fall 2010 Rich

No they can't compete in the free market, look at Toyota closed it's only union plant here in California, it is the union inefficiency with crazy job banks and benefits I do not blame them ,Boeing is leaving Seattle,Mercury was going to leave fond du lac..

36Tango 08-13-2010 04:18 PM

I wonder what VW diesel that they will be using for marine use. I drive one of the new technology TDI's in a jetta, and it is a pretty amazing engine. No smoke, no rattle, and very smooth. They must make a bigger one, though.