Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Mercruiser, Cummins & VW marine alliance (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/236736-mercruiser-cummins-vw-marine-alliance.html)

DollaBill 08-13-2010 04:26 PM

I can't believe CMD is still open. My brother worked for them until last May. He was the main Zeus guy. MErc was pumping in millions at a time b/c the company, to my knowledge, has never turned a profit. I mean a relationship with VW???? get real. It may be genuis when it comes to the right product but between boat sales being nearly non-existant and the american perception of foreign diesels for marine appications (rotflmao) it will go no place. more wasted money

Phazar454Mag 08-13-2010 04:48 PM

From this: http://www.vw-m.de/index.php?L=1 it seems the VW marine engines are manufactured in Germany.

Do you really think it is more expensive to have such engines manufactured in the USA compared to Germany ?

I don't think so, but I am no expert in this.

schnydo 08-13-2010 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Phazar454Mag (Post 3182055)
From this: http://www.vw-m.de/index.php?L=1 it seems the VW marine engines are manufactured in Germany.

Do you really think it is more expensive to have such engines manufactured in the USA compared to Germany ?

I don't think so, but I am no expert in this.

WE HAVE HIGHER TAXES

Wildman_grafix 08-15-2010 10:47 AM

In our company we had plants and engineering in both the US and Germany.

It is cheaper here on both ends. The biggest reason we built up Germany was the Germans in upper management, they try to take care of there own.

But it still is MUCH cheaper in Countries like China, India, or Turkey, so they started moving what they could to those Countries, engineering and production went to Turkey, China and Mexico, engineering China and India.

You know another reason so much production moves to third world countries has a lot to do with Environmental and safety laws, when you don't have to comply it makes it cheaper and easier.

BUIZILLA 08-15-2010 01:44 PM

CMD has alienated every company it's joined in bed so far.... not a trustworthy track record.... especially from a consumer viewpoint... they hung out to dry everyone that bought their derivatives so far.. no support what_so_ever

GoFastScott 08-15-2010 02:54 PM

We could solve a lot of this countries money and workforce problems with one simple step- tell all of the countries in the world we will charge their products the same tariffs as they charge ours! If i remember correctly, the Japanese charge our auto imports a tariff of like 45%, yet pay a 3% tariff or something like that to bring their products here. This would spur local production, who would buy a Camry if it was an extra $15,000 because it was made overseas? Let them build more factories here if they want to be competative in this market. (yes I know they have some factories here, but most of the cars are brought over) Or a t-shirt made in China if it was $28 if the American made version was $20? Maybe then we can start putting American workers back to work- we still have some of the greatest minds, lets put them back to work here instead of around the world.

stainless 08-15-2010 03:07 PM

A high revving lightweight marine diesel like the v12 in the r8 would be sweet with a multispeed tranny!
I've been waiting for something like this for years!

LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS 08-15-2010 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by GoFastScott (Post 3182928)
We could solve a lot of this countries money and workforce problems with one simple step- tell all of the countries in the world we will charge their products the same tariffs as they charge ours! If i remember correctly, the Japanese charge our auto imports a tariff of like 45%, yet pay a 3% tariff or something like that to bring their products here. This would spur local production, who would buy a Camry if it was an extra $15,000 because it was made overseas? Let them build more factories here if they want to be competative in this market. (yes I know they have some factories here, but most of the cars are brought over) Or a t-shirt made in China if it was $28 if the American made version was $20? Maybe then we can start putting American workers back to work- we still have some of the greatest minds, lets put them back to work here instead of around the world.

Absolutely.. This is what I was talking about in my earlier post.. This would solve much of the issue rather quickly.. J ;)

powerabout 08-16-2010 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by GoFastScott (Post 3182928)

Isnt the real problem Americans are buying Camrys because they are what they want rather then the locally produced cars?
Pretty embarrasing in a country that makes cars and the best seller is a foreign one!!
You think BMW VW and Mercedes would stand around doing nothing if a Citroen was the best selling car in Germany?

Catmando 08-16-2010 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by stainless (Post 3182933)
A high revving lightweight marine diesel like the v12 in the r8 would be sweet with a multispeed tranny!
I've been waiting for something like this for years!

Gale Banks should call Pat Weismann and see if his twin turbo supercharged Dmax can be mated to Pat's transmissions and drives. I think Pat would be open to such a marriage...