Notices

Mercruiser, Cummins & VW marine alliance

Old 08-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mercruiser, Cummins & VW marine alliance

Cummins MerCruiser signs deal with Volkswagen

( As Posted on August 12, 2010 In Trade Only )

Cummins MerCruiser Diesel and Volkswagen announced a partnership to develop and supply marine engines.
The agreement includes the joint development of marine engines that comply with future Tier 3 emissions standards. Also, all Volkswagen marine engines, starting in 2011, will be exclusively supplied to Cummins MerCruiser Diesel and marketed under its name.
Volkswagen will set up production of the new engine generation at its plant in Salzgitter, Germany.
"This strategic marine business offers significant potential for both partners. We bring to the alliance our technological know-how in engine production and the high quality standard of Volkswagen products," said Werner Neubaurer, a member of Volkswagen's board of management, in a statement. "CMD has expert knowledge of marine applications and is well known for its success in marine engine distribution and service."
"We are delighted with this union," Cummins MerCruiser Diesel president Alex Savelli added in a statement. "It brings together the best minds and capacities in the field of marine propulsion systems."

Could be a good thing, I wonder how far they will go with this? I guess time will tell.. J
Old 08-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

why cant we build stuff like that here ....this is the problem ....
Old 08-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

we can, but not cost effectivly
Old 08-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by offthefront
UMM PUBLIC SCHOOLS ?
Old 08-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
we can, but not cost effectivly

well ....its gona catch up ....all our asset's flowing out of the USA .....I feel like my old man ....but damm.....I have been lucky ....my job is stable and I am well paid ...and STILL things are starting to squeeze ... m
Old 08-12-2010, 02:41 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We need to export more & Import less.. For too long it has been far easier to get stuff here from other countries. It is however rather aggravating & expensive to get our stuff to other countries.

Foreign governments seem to heavily tax imports, our government seems to not care what come in here..

This is part of the problem.. J
Old 08-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by offthefront
Three letters- UAW!
Old 08-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 1,310 Likes on 731 Posts

Companies outsource engineering also, no UAW in engineering.

My last company had a goal to reduce US and Germany engineering by 50% before 2012, and send it to China and India. It just keeps moving up the ladder.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I can tell you this... My brother works for a large enginering company that makes axles, frames etc for the big 3... THe company sold my brothers division/project (making frames for an suv on of the big 3 sold to the chinese) to a company in Mexico. This new mexican company saw they had an engineer in detroit (my bro) and several engineers working in an office in Pa., the company wanted to consolidate operations and offered the Pa. engineers nice relocation packages to move to michigan. In typical American fashion these engineers said no to the intial offer. The Mexican company's reply was "your fired" and gave my brother a nice raise and promotion. This is not your grandfathers American industrial powerhouse anymore. There are enough auto engineers looking for work these days in Mich. that the company didnt need to offer nice relocation packages, but they did... And got flipped off by greedy engineers who thought they had power in numbers....
Old 08-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 1,310 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
I can tell you this... My brother works for a large enginering company that makes axles, frames etc for the big 3... THe company sold my brothers division/project (making frames for an suv on of the big 3 sold to the chinese) to a company in Mexico. This new mexican company saw they had an engineer in detroit (my bro) and several engineers working in an office in Pa., the company wanted to consolidate operations and offered the Pa. engineers nice relocation packages to move to michigan. In typical American fashion these engineers said no to the intial offer. The Mexican company's reply was "your fired" and gave my brother a nice raise and promotion. This is not your grandfathers American industrial powerhouse anymore. There are enough auto engineers looking for work these days in Mich. that the company didnt need to offer nice relocation packages, but they did... And got flipped off by greedy engineers who thought they had power in numbers....
Yea there are a lot looking in MI, but at least that company hired in the US.

I can't tell you how many times I was on a plane to china with a VP of engineering from an American company sitting next to me (Not auto related) saying he was headed over to see his staff.

The only point I am trying to make is that large companies see they can outsource just about anything, it is a constant downward pressure on our wages and therefore our standard of living.

But back on topic, I hope these new motors work out. Wonder what Merc Racing could do with a couple?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.