Notices

Hornet Marine

Old 08-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Come take a ride

Originally Posted by bluellama
David, this quote and the following quote from the Soundings article you posted seem to contradict each other......

"Hartmann says he's not spending a lot of money on R&D. "We've got a proven hull," he says."

If it's a brand new hull how is it proven?
It is based on a design that has been around since the 60's.

There are some changes that have not been around for more than a few months but the boat runs fantastic. Better than our expectations. We give demo rides when ever possible. This goes to everyone.

Give us a call and we can try and plan a time to take the boat out. All are welcome.

David
860 516 3141
Old 08-25-2010, 07:12 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this is going to get more interesting. I think I will just watch from the side lines for now...

I figured sooner or later there would be some sort of lively discussions over this...
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Registered

funny thing is the "sweet 16" was popped from a 16 splash being made at the time so donzi woulld fail on the built from scratch thingy or the 10 percent rule too. so a splash is no good but a splash of a splash is ok ????????????????????why cause it has donzi decals on it??????????????????

from 1980 to 1990 Donzi gave up on the 16 sold off or destroyed the molds where does that fit in to the pedigree of the line ????????

the 16 had more than one bottom so which one did they splash ???

wish em well hope it works out it is tough out there
it is good when the buyer has options, and competition drives quality and superior products which is good too

alot of boats came from that rounded keel 24 degree design..

Last edited by mattyboy; 08-25-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

Dont really know why people are jumping on Hornet. The number of builders that splashed/copied hulls is high. If you trace back the lineage of many boats you will find splashes. Hornet seems to be upfront about this. If they didnt break the law, whats the beef?
Old 08-25-2010, 02:12 PM
Registered

Well Matty, the fact is regardless of when Donzi quit making the 16, started again, etc..... it was thier boat to begin with since 1964. On top of that, it is a CURRENT production boat of Donzi.

Coupled with the fact that Hornet has plagarized the Donzi Marine script, I think it sucks. Everything they have done is an insult to Donzi. The name Hornet, one of Donzi's first production boats, copying the 16 (complete with hook), scripts, etc... Hell, I might have even supported the damn thing if they had done the splash without all the Donzi plagarism and made thier own brand.

Wonder if David wasn't such a loyal member of the LGDCC if you and Pearson would have the same opinion. Hmmm.....would you let a Vance, Cobalt or Python into your dustoff? Hell no. You are defending David because he is a freind and a member of the LGDCC, nothing more. If you want to give an opinion, give an unbiased one.

David, people tell me you are a good guy. While this may be true, you have gone the wrong way about building and promoting your boat. Some of the Donzi community support you (although I think some have other motives), but is seems much more do not. It is not too late to make this a respectful splash and not just a Donzi plagarism. Think about it.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:08 PM
Registered

I gave an honest opinion that's all I can do
Old 08-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Registered

Well, here is a qoute from the LGDCC President on another forum-

Ok...my 2 cents on this. First and formost. David Hartman is a long standing Lake George Donzi Classic Club member and a good friend. At the time his St. Topez was not running and he asked if he could bring his Hornet Marine boat. At NO time during him attending the event did he make a sales pitch or solicit business. I'm sure he was asked a ton of questions. David has a wonderful history with Donzi and the people involved. His family was part of the Donzi Legacy.

There are exceptions for loyal club members
Since you are as big a part of the club as the Pres, considering the above statement, how can you say you can give an honest and unbiased opinion? He is, as stated, a freind, long standing member, and a loyal member. An exception was made to rules that have been pretty much set in stone. He is probably the first non-Donzi to be in the show in the history of the dustoff. Danny doesn't count because he was not in the show. So, does your honest opinion count towards Vance? Cobalt? Chris Craft? Python? Lenco? If I showed up with a Vance, would I be allowed in the show?

Matty, not trying to start anything, but I think your "honest opinion" would be more honest if you had never met David or if he was not a "freind" and "loyal" and "long standing" member of the LGDCC.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:27 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bluellama
David, is that Hull #1 in the Miami Boat Show pic? Too bad Sharkey couldn't have got pictures of the complete boat.
I am sure you know I did my best to do so. I asked if I could get images of what was under the cover and the response was that the boat was not finished therefore that they would rather not have photos taken of it. I respected that, but on the flip side, it would have been a good opportunity for people to see how clean their build was...

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 08-25-2010, 04:41 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by David Hartmann
The hull bottom is not a copy. We did build the tooling ourselves and made some changes.
David Hartmann
860 516 3141
As with many boat manufacturers and the digital age, I am sure you must have taken plenty of pictures of the wooden plug that was used to build the tooling....

Post some of those Wooden Plug images to prove to the members here that it was not a copy or a splash off another Donzi hull and I think you may find people a little more receptive knowing you went through the hard work of building the plug 1st .

It's just too bad I could not have had you guys work off of the design of the Bullet 130.
That design by Tom De Angelis was and still is the best out there today for a 13 footer. Should you have made a 16 out of it, I could put money on it that it would run circles around some 21's.

Afterall my Bullet 130 out ran some of the larger Offshore Boats back in the day !

Best of luck with your project.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 08-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

What a crazy thread. I don't know David and I don't know Weasel.But there sure is a lot of over reacting here. Seems David is trying to build an afforable 16 Classic clone. Sounds fine to me,and I was one of the first dealers to sign up with Donzi when Genth bought it about 1985.The 16 was not in production then. I was a Donzi dealer off and on till about 2003 or so. The 16 had come back in production,a few were sold,but how many were sold in the last few years? Not many,too much money for a 40 year old 16' boat.How many of the Donzi purists here have bought a new 16? I guess not many,better to restore an old one,and I respect that. What exactly is a real Donzi? The company has been sold many times,and they will soon be Donzi built by Fountain,as production is moving to NC.I applaude David for trying to build a nice,low priced 16 Classic clone,or whatever you want to call it.One of my all time favorite boats,but I would not spend the $ on a new "real" one. And if you check the sales fiqures,hardly anyone else has either.Being loyal to a brand is great,but if David is maybe going to move forward here,I say go for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.