Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Water/Oil in bilge --- Mercruiser/TRS drive ???? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/236912-water-oil-bilge-mercruiser-trs-drive.html)

John MacLean 08-15-2010 03:26 PM

Water/Oil in bilge --- Mercruiser/TRS drive ????

Over the last few days I have noticed water trickling into the bilge trhough the vent cap on the reservoir on the port side of the transom. We've just had some extensive work done on the drive following a universal joint failure that included a busted yoke, damaged bell housing and bellows.

We checked the bilge frequently for 24 hours after the mechanic delivered the boat following the repair and didn't notice any sign of water intrusion while at the slip.

On the second day out on our boating vacation I noticed a little fluid trickling from the vent cap and called the mechanic to report the situation. He advised me to monitor it and he would look at it when we returned at the end of the week. By the end of the week the bilge looked like the Gulf oil spill. . . and the pumps were running for about 30 seconds every hour.

Hoping that the issue is related to the recent work done on the boat and not a new one since it was a 4500.00 touch for the repair. I am a tradesman myself and don't want to suggest shoddy workmanship. Things get missed sometimes.

Anyone have any experience with this type of issue? How reasonable is it reasonable to assume that the issue is related to the repair?

John

Scott B 08-15-2010 09:02 PM

Very reasonable.. Hope its not salt water..

Mbam 08-16-2010 04:44 AM

Have you looked in the resevoir?

John MacLean 08-16-2010 05:15 AM

MBAM,
I haven't looked in the reservoir yet beyond checking the dipstick but I did leave an urgent message with my mechanic when I realized that the reservoir serves the drive and not the power trim.

John MacLean 08-16-2010 05:16 AM

ScottB, Nope only fresh water here in Ontario. I guess that may be some consolation.

PatriYacht 08-16-2010 05:51 AM

Sounds like a broken trans cooler. Your trans is full of water. Don't run it until you check it.

John MacLean 08-16-2010 07:52 PM

Transmission is fine. That was one of the first components I checked. I stopped by the marina on the way home from work and verified water mixed with the oil in the drive reservoir. When I returned again this evening the mechanic apparently had isolated the problem and decided to do the repair at the shop rather than lake side. It is there now and he is confident that it will be back in the water by tomorrow afternoon.

We'll see. . . .

gripit 08-16-2010 08:05 PM

What was the problem?

John MacLean 08-16-2010 09:02 PM

Apparently the water was leaking at a vertical plate on the upper part of the drive. It is on the drive itself and not the transom. I don't know the term for it but he said they noticed a little water and oil trickle out from aroound it shortly after they had the boat on the trailer. wish I was there to witness it myself but only have his description to go on.