Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 18th (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/236923-don-aronow-memorial-race-sept-18th.html)

14 apache 08-30-2010 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 3185916)
Luv Ya Sharkey....but it's always about the elusive and fictional "Next Year".

Sadly this year was "next year" last year.

Offshore needed to get its act together many "next years" ago.

Fact is, (with or without "intent") the original date was a poke in the eye at the long standing SBI race in NYC....now the new "schedule" ignores an existng date set aside for a simple effort at providing an alternative long distance point to point race that was gaining some enthusiasm.

What happened to the hopey changey "United We Race" slogan? Maybe that will be instituted "Next Year" as well.

Any apaches going to enter thinking about entering mine. 320 gallons of gas:cool-smiley-027: enough?

OL40SVX 08-30-2010 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by 14 apache (Post 3195674)
Any apaches going to enter thinking about entering mine. 320 gallons of gas:cool-smiley-027: enough?

Go and enter! It will be great to see an Apache in the event!

14 apache 09-01-2010 09:21 PM

How many boats are going to show up?

MiniHawk 09-01-2010 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by 14 apache (Post 3197752)
How many boats are going to show up?

Alot, hopefully! We need alot of people to have fun in this event!

1MOSES1 09-02-2010 06:51 AM

Alot, hopefully! We need alot of people to have fun in this event!
there is another poker run going on the same day, so i dont know how much participation you will see from CT...i have talked to a few fellow go-fasters, and the concensus seems to be the Pavilion poker run out of old lyme, ct on the same day

i think it is silly to schedule them like this...i think we actually share the montauk stop. so it will be hectic over there.

MiniHawk 09-02-2010 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by moses0324 (Post 3197949)
there is another poker run going on the same day, so i dont know how much participation you will see from CT...i have talked to a few fellow go-fasters, and the concensus seems to be the Pavilion poker run out of old lyme, ct on the same day

i think it is silly to schedule them like this...i think we actually share the montauk stop. so it will be hectic over there.

If we have any stops in this memorial race, it will be for a fuel pickup for the boats that dont have the capacity to run around the whole island on one full tank.

OL40SVX 09-02-2010 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by moses0324 (Post 3197949)

No one that is on the Pavilion run, that shouldnt be considered a poker run, would never even think of doing the round LI race. They're two totally different groups of people. They are not the die hards that would actually consider doing this event. You couldnt even get anyone in CT to do a real poker run the years that PRA did an event and this year with the NPBA!!

1MOSES1 09-02-2010 10:30 AM

No one that is on the Pavilion run, that shouldnt be considered a poker run, would never even think of doing the round LI race. They're two totally different groups of people. They are not the die hards that would actually consider doing this event. You couldnt even get anyone in CT to do a real poker run the years that PRA did an event and this year with the NPBA!!
Many of the people whom participated in the NPBA Between the Bridges Run arent running in the Aronow Race...Are you saying the NPBA Bridge Run wasnt a real Poker Run?

271 Miles is a little much dont you think...I bet 25% of the boats have issues making it the entire run.

Im not putting down the aronow run i just think its a little long, and very expensive for "alot" of people (as metioned) to get involved

T2x 09-03-2010 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by moses0324 (Post 3198189)
Many of the people whom participated in the NPBA Between the Bridges Run arent running in the Aronow Race...Are you saying the NPBA Bridge Run wasnt a real Poker Run?

271 Miles is a little much dont you think...I bet 25% of the boats have issues making it the entire run.

Im not putting down the aronow run i just think its a little long, and very expensive for "alot" of people (as metioned) to get involved

It's not a "run"....it's a "race". A "race" is where you actually go b*lls out and try to beat your opponent and the elements regardless of the conditions, with safety equipment of course. A "run" is where you spend a lot of money on a race bred hull, horsepower and paint and then park the thing at a few waterfront cocktail lounges and loudly boast how long your pecker is.

Sadly, today, there aren't many racers, and a lot of sexy equipment is wasted. It's kind of like all the dentists with Turbo Porsche's that are driven mostly to the nearest up-scale mall on Saturday's.

T2x

Gladhe8er 09-03-2010 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 3199113)
It's not a "run"....it's a "race". A "race" is where you actually go b*lls out and try to beat your opponent and the elements regardless of the conditions, with safety equipment of course. A "run" is where you spend a lot of money on a race bred hull, horsepower and paint and then park the thing at a few waterfront cocktail lounges and loudly boast how long your pecker is.

Sadly, today, there aren't many racers, and a lot of sexy equipment is wasted. It's kind of like all the dentists with Turbo Porsche's that are driven mostly to the nearest up-scale mall on Saturday's.

T2x

HAHA! That's funny right there.