Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 18th (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/236923-don-aronow-memorial-race-sept-18th.html)

Top Banana 09-13-2010 11:25 AM

The final few days are here.

We have a British entry that says they would like to take the record back to the UK with them.

We have an Apache that has installed new bulkheads and additional fuel capacity.

We have a twin engine outboard right from the Don Aronow era.

We have a four engine diesel boat that is very long................

What are you waiting for? Get your call into Billy Frenz now and let him know you are coming.

Wet and dry pits are Guy La Motta's marina in Port Wasiungton....Manhasset Bay Marina.

For the old guys, we hear that even John Henry Falk will be showing up for this race.

Top Banana 09-14-2010 07:59 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Those were the days......are they gone forever.... or will the new racers from this era write their own legends?

Sean 09-14-2010 08:36 AM

charlie,

how many boats have entered?

Top Banana 09-14-2010 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 3207336)
charlie,

how many boats have entered?

Last I heard about a dozen but that was before the British team and a couple of others.

Big Time 09-14-2010 09:26 AM

Is there dock space at the Marina for those who want to check out the festivities but don't have the balls to run in the race themselves? :o

Top Banana 09-14-2010 10:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Big Time (Post 3207381)
Is there dock space at the Marina for those who want to check out the festivities but don't have the balls to run in the race themselves? :o

You could contact the marina....info on the poster below.

Billy Frenz is looking for help with safety boats, you might contact him directly and become part of the race that way.

From what I understand at this year's Cowes race, they still had people signing up after the safety inspections....so if your coming, bring your helmet and jackets.....just in case you want to become more involved.

Sonic30ss 09-14-2010 11:42 AM

I'm in....... been quietly working (and not boating on beautiful weekends) for three weeks tuning, changing fluids, checking nuts & bolts,and adding another 50 gallons of
fuel storage so I don't have to stop. This type of race has been a dream of mine since I bought my boat....having one in my back yard is something I cannot let pass by without being involved.

Top Banana 09-14-2010 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sonic30ss (Post 3207513)
I'm in....... been quietly working (and not boating on beautiful weekends) for three weeks tuning, changing fluids, checking nuts & bolts,and adding another 50 gallons of
fuel storage so I don't have to stop. This type of race has been a dream of mine since I bought my boat....having one in my back yard is something I cannot let pass by without being involved.

Excellent......that is how all the big guys started. A local race and they took a chance and before they knew it, they realized they were good at it and history was made.

Bill Wishnick started in this very race with a small Alim. He too installed an extra fuel tank ...BUT, he nailed the bracing for the tank to his inner floor. He said he had a great time for about a dozen waves, before the nails and gas tank broke loose.

Stormrider 09-14-2010 01:40 PM

When will most of the boats be in the PITS?

Top Banana 09-14-2010 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Stormrider (Post 3207638)
When will most of the boats be in the PITS?

Probably Friday the most will be there, but some will be coming in on Thursday also.

Don't forget this is Old School racing....the race starts at 8AM Saturday....so that means the boats leave the marina at 7:30AM.

I am sure to get the safety checks done and the final check of the crews....all of that should be done by Friday afternoon.