If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Platinum Member Platinum Member 26sonic's Avatar
    My Boats:
    boats, cars
    poughkeepsie, ny, usa

mercury head gaskets?

talked to my mechanic the other day about possibly replacing the stock head gaskets on my 1998 502 mag efi with 120 hrs on it because i wanted to pro charge my motor coming up with "m3" unit and 5 lbs
    of boost . last time i asked this question on oso there were some saying leave them others said to change them with a brand like mechanic said that merc bought their gaskets from fel-pro?
    could this be possible ?

well I just yanked my motor apart 2 weeks ago, a 98 7.4, and they did not look like any fel pros that I have ever seen. with only 120 hrs on it I would leave them alone. I run mine in salt every time and wash it out well, I really looked at the head gaskets when I pulled them off and found no problems what so ever. Merc seems to do a good job, so much so that I wouldnt think twice about pro charging with the originals. but valve springs, well those I would change!