Notices

Boat Wrap

Old 08-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wraps are a great way to update your boat without the price of paint. The down side is it cuts, rips, and scratches easer then vinyl decals. Always get extra for patches if it even hits your finger nail its scratched.

Also don’t get cheap brands stick with 3m controltac v3 its for marine use. Art work can very in price. Do not pay more then 5-6 dollars a foot for the material and clear laminate.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 3,019 Likes on 987 Posts

We got ours done 3 or 4 years ago. When they did it, I thought if I got two whole seasons out of it I'd be fine. The wrap looks almost as good as the day it was put on. The absolute only downside is that if you rub the dock the rubber tends to stick to the vinyl and it's harder to get off than if you leave a "rubber kiss" on the gel. No real rips that I've seen the only thing I have seen are where the tie downs have rubbed a bit at the chine and worn the wrap. But you need to have it pointed out to see it.

The math has been done time and time again -a if you do a full costom paint job the price can be 35k+ (and that's conservative). So, a full wrap would be anywhere from 3500-5k and last 3-5 years. Let's go conservative on the paint price and high on the vinyl price and low on how long it last. You'd still be able to change the looks of your boat every three years for over 20 years to equal one paint job.

Needless to say, the cost effectiveness of the wrap is evident.
Attached Thumbnails Boat Wrap-havasu_az_022.jpg   Boat Wrap-havasu04-27-07-85-.jpg   Boat Wrap-tankhavasu.jpg  

Old 08-18-2010, 10:26 PM
"Unregistered Gun"
Platinum Member

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a wrap on mine, had above the rail done and all the dashpanels and panels in cabin to match. Turned out great and have 2 1/2 years on mine with no complaints.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:47 PM
Registered

Do any of you guys with wraps raft up with other boats every weekend? Will the constant up & down of the bumpers wear the vinyl?
Old 08-19-2010, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I don't have a wrap yet but research on rafting up says they use fender covers. I believe Jim told me he uses cape hatteras
Old 08-19-2010, 08:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by thisistank
We got ours done 3 or 4 years ago. When they did it, I thought if I got two whole seasons out of it I'd be fine. The wrap looks almost as good as the day it was put on. The absolute only downside is that if you rub the dock the rubber tends to stick to the vinyl and it's harder to get off than if you leave a "rubber kiss" on the gel. No real rips that I've seen the only thing I have seen are where the tie downs have rubbed a bit at the chine and worn the wrap. But you need to have it pointed out to see it.

The math has been done time and time again -a if you do a full costom paint job the price can be 35k+ (and that's conservative). So, a full wrap would be anywhere from 3500-5k and last 3-5 years. Let's go conservative on the paint price and high on the vinyl price and low on how long it last. You'd still be able to change the looks of your boat every three years for over 20 years to equal one paint job.

Needless to say, the cost effectiveness of the wrap is evident.
Tank, your wrap is one of the best Ive seen (online anyway!)

What happens after say 5 years when you want to update or get a new wrap. How long would it take to remove that?
Old 08-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are looking for a vinyl wrap in cincinnati call GCI Digital imaging 513 521 sign ask for TJ
Old 08-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Registered

KineticAnimation.com did my wrap. it's holding up pretty well

Old 08-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 3,019 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by TEAMBAJA
Tank, your wrap is one of the best Ive seen (online anyway!)

What happens after say 5 years when you want to update or get a new wrap. How long would it take to remove that?
I don't know exactly. When I had the Graphics Co. (in Ca. here's their website www.thegraphicsco.com ) do ours they had to remove the original wrap from the factory that had been on there for 10 years! I think they used a heat gun, goo gone and some of these rubber pealer things. Think they got if off in a day.

Thanks for the compliment. Mine doesn't look half as nice as some of the new stuff their coming out with. The new 3M material is gettingto that "shine" stage that everyone complains about not having with a wrap.

Check out all the crazy stuff The Graphics Co. is doing. Lots of race boats and race trucks.

And in regards to the "tie up" question. I routinely tie up with other boats and have yet to have a problem. I have slip covers on my fenders but I only have two fenders. In the heat of the moment when everyone is partying and having a good time it's hard not to just tie up with people now and worry about it later. Sooooo, needless to say, I've tied up plenty of times with bare fenders. Haven't had one issue with it.

Last edited by thisistank; 08-19-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I wrap can be removed in less than 1 hour......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.