Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
39'  Nayy Seal HSB outboard options? >

39' Nayy Seal HSB outboard options?

Notices

39' Nayy Seal HSB outboard options?

Old 11-24-2013, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We see them on a daily basis around here, I think most have 525's with #6's, pretty bullet proof combo. There is a father and son that have a pair of them they converted into fishing rigs, i'm sure they are wave crushing tanks.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete280
We see them on a daily basis around here, I think most have 525's with #6's, pretty bullet proof combo. There is a father and son that have a pair of them they converted into fishing rigs, i'm sure they are wave crushing tanks.
Lmao...hopefully they have Military spec CMIs! (rather than Merc spec)
Old 08-09-2016, 05:34 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I realize I am three years late to this thread but Pete280, I fish with the father & son who have those HSB's you were talking about They moved the motors forward and run jackshafts so they are easier to fish from the stern. The one the dad has was built by Halter and he built a pair of Merlins BBC's for his. The son's boat was built by USMI and last winter I helped him re-power them with a pair of big ole Dart blocks. Last summer picked up an older first gen 38 Fountain HSB that I am putting back together, because I guess I hate having money.[ATTACH=CONFIG]558140[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558141[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558142[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558143[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558144[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 39'  Nayy Seal HSB outboard options?-738cff4876acf96.jpg   39'  Nayy Seal HSB outboard options?-20150725_110444.jpg   39'  Nayy Seal HSB outboard options?-20160224_160003.jpg  

39'  Nayy Seal HSB outboard options?-de0cfd4e75a39a2.jpg  

Last edited by Griff; 01-11-2018 at 12:51 AM. Reason: removed pic
The following 2 users liked this post by ibugsm1:
Cwater757 (05-04-2022), larslindroth (10-24-2023), Pyro Chuck (12-25-2017)
Old 08-09-2016, 06:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ibugsm1
I realize I am three years late to this thread but Pete280, I fish with the father & son who have those HSB's you were talking about They moved the motors forward and run jackshafts so they are easier to fish from the stern. The one the dad has was built by Halter and he built a pair of Merlins BBC's for his. The son's boat was built by USMI and last winter I helped him re-power them with a pair of big ole Dart blocks. Last summer picked up an older first gen 38 Fountain HSB that I am putting back together, because I guess I hate having money.[ATTACH=CONFIG]558140[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558141[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558142[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558143[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558144[/ATTACH]
I believe I saw one of these a few years back putting at Lynnhaven Inlet. Good looking boat!
Old 11-22-2017, 08:53 AM
U13
Registered

Default Just Acquired Boat no.57

Originally Posted by DMOORE
Well said. Ya have to remember that these boats are implements of war, and built for that purpose. I'm a former SEAL and also was assigned at Special Boat Unit 12 in Coronado. We had HSB's at the time. Before the USMI boats were online, The unit had Fountains. And while they are great boats, and fast, they simply are not built to withstand the rigors of Combat. The HSB's will handle tasks that would simply crush a normal pleasure boat. Imagine slamming a pleasure boat up against a 900ft ship in the black of night, traveling at 15knots, with 10ft swells beating against it. This would crush the gunwales of a normal pleasure boat.The HSB took it in stride.They are great boats for the mission they were assigned. No, they are not the fastest boat out there, but they will handle SERIOUS weather with ease, and still get ya home. I've been in the HSB's maintaining 60 knots in some very, very nasty seas. Just a few cool features of the boat... each motor had two separate ignition systems. If one failed, simply switch to the secondary ignition and keep running.

As for the outboards, I'm not too sure on that. These are very heavy boats, and I don't think outboards are the way to go.

BTW. I still have a copy of the US Navy maintenance/service/ rebuild manual for the Innovation 557 motors for the HSB's. I could copy it if any owners were interested.

Darrell.
Hi Darrell,
Hope you're still on the forum. I just acquired a severely demilled HSB, boat no. 57

I've been in the composites business for 30 years so I can definitely bring it back to life, but at a cost.

It's kind of odd- OD green, hull/deck joint and rub rail disappeared. Maybe part of some attempt at early stealth?? Who knows.

It has been sitting at an engine shop for years and I couldn't stand to see it rot any more.

If you still have any documentation, I'd really appreciate taking a read. My email is [email protected]

I'm also going to contact Halter to see if they still have a build book for the boat- laminate schedule, resin system used; Kevlar's a pain to work with..

If you know anyone else who has any HSB docs, send em on!

With All Sincerity- Thank You for your sacrifice and service!!!!
Old 01-08-2018, 07:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ibugsm1
Hey ibugsm1, it appears the one on the left is sitting on a tandem-axle trailer while the one on the right is on a triple-axle...can you confirm this?

Thanks,
Pyro Chuck
Old 05-04-2022, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Navy HSB

I know this is a old thread but does anyone know of one of these boats Forsale?
Old 05-04-2022, 03:32 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwater757
I know this is a old thread but does anyone know of one of these boats Forsale?
You see them on some of the Government Auction sites from time to time. That's the best I can offer you.