Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fiore On Outerlimits Engine Program (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/237207-fiore-outerlimits-engine-program.html)

Catmando 08-20-2010 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by 7075T6 (Post 3186327)
FiatPowertrainTechnologies=FPT. They make a couple of million engines every year incl marine engines.
The 560 is a Cummins 6,7 l with a lot of mods from FPT.
560=560 hp at 3000 rpm(3150 max)
FPT has a 600 hp kit for racers. Fabio Buzzi use 4 of these engines in his "CESA" raceboat.

The OL 52 SV has ASD8 x 4 with Hering propellers.
No multispeed. SCS -dropbox -crashboxes with 10 min gearchange.

Thanks 707! :) I would like to see a list of mods that Fiat has installed on the 6.7. I wonder if they installed twin turbos or a single-sequential turbo...

HabanaJoe 08-20-2010 07:57 PM

animalhouse - what gear ratio did they hit the 114 with?

Matt Trulio 08-20-2010 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by animalhouse (Post 3186331)
Fiat Powertrain. very good power to weight ratio, they also have a great service network in the UK, where this boat will live. Custom SCS Quick Change offset gearboxes with SCS crashboxes mated to Arneson Drives. There will be plenty of photo's to follow

What a great project. I've heard of a bunch of diesel builders overseas not commonly known in this country, but I had not heard of Flat Powertrain. Sounds like high-quality power mated to high-quality drives.

HabanaJoe 08-20-2010 08:28 PM

I am not trying to dis anyone because I love the diesels as you all know.

There is nothing revolutionary about this whole package except it has been updated with newer engines, better props and 100%more efficent hull. Ok RIK better drives as well - LOL! The Hp, ratios, etc will be similar to what has been done years ago with similar results.

Buzzi, us (Super Hero) whoever you want to call it did this over 20 years with basically the same thing. A 46' mono hull, 4 - 600+hp diesels, direct drive no multispeeds, quick change gearing offset gearing (Ok the ZF was not so quick change but we had many gear sets) and over 110 mph.

I am very happy to see someone bringing this back to life with newer technology it was a great package.

What still perplexes me to this day is why no one that I have seen has tried to dupilcate this until now?

wrinkleface 08-20-2010 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby (Post 3186197)
Saw one go KA-BOOM at Boyne Thunder this year...

just heard something today about Zack's boat & his engines Mikey!!! kinda interesting??????????????? Call me Buddy & remind me of that good rum U had at the docks!!!:party-smiley-004:

FREEDOM US1 08-20-2010 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe (Post 3187285)

There is nothing revolutionary about this whole package except it has been updated with newer engines, better props and 100%more efficent hull. Ok RIK better drives as well - LOL! The Hp, ratios, etc will be similar to what has been done years ago with similar results.

Buzzi, us (Super Hero) whoever you want to call it did this over 20 years with basically the same thing. A 46' mono hull, 4 - 600+hp diesels, direct drive no multispeeds, quick change gearing offset gearing (Ok the ZF was not so quick change but we had many gear sets) and over 110 mph.

I am very happy to see someone bringing this back to life with newer technology it was a great package.

What still perplexes me to this day is why no one that I have seen has tried to dupilcate this until now?

The old Morboro boat really made a lot of black smoke in 1998. Danial Sceoli used to drive it. Spelled wrong Im sure. New diesels will probably run cleaner.

HabanaJoe 08-20-2010 09:36 PM

Freedom, never said we were environmentally friendly!

There are OPT'ers on here, the Coast Gaurd stopped the diesels from running in Key West because of the soot trails they left.

The new engines make all the difference in the world.

Scioli's boat was the newer Gancia and that boat was leaps ahead. I can't imagine given what Outerlimits can do today how far ahead the are from the old Gancia.

We need them to build a nice 41 twin or triple engine boat with Q's in it as a pleasure boat.

7075T6 08-21-2010 08:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 3187250)
Thanks 707! :) I would like to see a list of mods that Fiat has installed on the 6.7. I wonder if they installed twin turbos or a single-sequential turbo...

Single turbo(LARGE!) with wastegate. Nothing special.
FPT had the block beefed up from Cummins. Stiffeners around the crank. Not sure, but I think the combustion chambers and valves are modified and there is a large, watercooled, intercooler.
The 3150rpm ceiling could have been a bit higher.
I have a pair of FPT 560,s with ZF 300 ATS,2-speed, waiting to be installed during the winter:)

Matt Trulio 08-22-2010 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe (Post 3187285)

Hey Habana!

Don't think I (or anyone else) used the word "revolutionary"—that's a big word for sure—just cool ... and a first for Outerlimits. On the other hand, as you point out, the hardware has definitely improved since back in the day. Still not revolutionary, but vastly improved.

Sort of related: My first 100-mph V-bottom ride was on an Outerlimits 37 Stilletto will Zul engines. God, that seems like a a long time ago ... because it was.

HabanaJoe 08-22-2010 06:14 PM

My point was people get so "wowed" by this stuff because as you see and know diesel people still run around and can't figure how to make a diesel boat go into the high 80's or 100 and above.

Everytime someone talks about diesel here the "Gale Banks" duramax and supports jump all over it and say "see, see if it had that" or "Gale Banks has one".

Truth is if they had it for the 4 years people on here talked about it you would have seen it, you don't even see test mules or offshore type running beta's let alone a production engine you can purchase - I thnk that closes the book there for now (I hope they do it)

The word "revolutionary" although not quoted might be strong BUT agreed it is super cool - LOL!

The technology to this is simple and proven and I'm glad to see people like Outerlimits have b*lls enough to just do it as they Nike says.

I enjoy reading your interviews and keep it up!