Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
We need another race association?? >

We need another race association??

Notices

We need another race association??

Old 08-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We need another race association??

Ive been following the boat racing series for five years now. Ive been fortunate enough to see almost every venue in florida and a few other states. I buy t-shirts, support the vendors and the local economy. What i seen at cocoa was great but also depressing. Their were people as far as the eye could see in both directions from the pier. As soon as the boats crossed the start line you seen everyone head to the water. I still get goosebumps everytime this happens. The look on everyones faces is great. Most of these people have never even seen a powerboat and you can see their amazed. But a few laps into it i can hear people saying is their anymore boats. I was sad to see the small turnout but im glad their is still one. You hear hear talk of wanting this unified association but when is someone going to take action. You want fans and sponsorship money but i dont see it happening when you spread races across the country especially when their is so few doing it. They should of had an oss race this wknd too. Im not implying i have a great knowledge of racing or boats, im just a fan who would love to see this thrive and be talked about more than just on this site. I would like to say thank you to teams who made it to Cocoa and NY, even though they were a few miles apart.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:20 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most teams come from the NE and Midwest so I think FL is just too far. I believe a better question is why aren't there more raceboats in FL and the South? You have a termendous history, several manufactures and a better economy. Not to mention a very impressIve Poker Run fleet
Old 08-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wahoo ATV
Most teams come from the NE and Midwest so I think FL is just too far. I believe a better question is why aren't there more raceboats in FL and the South? You have a termendous history, several manufactures and a better economy. Not to mention a very impressIve Poker Run fleet
nice try wahoo. the avg's are down across the board.

its a hobby sport and we're in a bad economic recession.

please don't say thing are better in the NE. even with "TV" that geico said it's brought the turn out is way down at all the races.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Let's see.........
three sanction bodies, broken promises, way to many classes
Old 08-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by skaterdave

please don't say thing are better in the NE. even with "TV" that geico said it's brought the turn out is way down at all the races.
I think St Clair was up from last year, but the Harrison race the week before was down 2 boats.

(I think, just going off memory)
Old 08-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by skaterdave

Dave,

I said nothing about Orgs. I stated a fact that there more registered teams in the North. Better in the NE? I said exactly the opposite. We have 15% unemployment in the midwest. Regarding your statement that turnouts are "way down", it does not appear that way at OPA events.

Like I said the first time, I think the answer to the question is that people won't travel if they don't have to. So you have to grow it in your area like others have.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:05 PM
GB
Registered

Understand your concern/point Peanut. We always enjoyed the F1/F2 class the most. Great racing from the manufactures...Will it ever come back? Kinda doubt it.

Those were some good times, the days!
GB
Old 08-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Registered

Dave,

I said nothing about Orgs. I stated a fact that there more registered teams in the North. Better in the NE? I said exactly the opposite. We have 15% unemployment in the midwest. Regarding your statement that turnouts are "way down", it does not appear that way at OPA events.

Like I said the first time, I think the answer to the question is that people won't travel if they don't have to. So you have to grow it in your area like others have.
really, so turn out is up? what races you been going too?

i just don't see justification too your statement. there's not that many boats period. and to state that there's more in the north is really a judgement call as to class, org and several other factors.

the main fact is that florida has the most races. so that means it has the most race boats racing.

the biggest problem is it's #2 or #3 for poor economy
Old 08-23-2010, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 364 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by ItsPeanut
Ive been following the boat racing series for five years now. Ive been fortunate enough to see almost every venue in florida and a few other states. I buy t-shirts, support the vendors and the local economy. What i seen at cocoa was great but also depressing. Their were people as far as the eye could see in both directions from the pier. As soon as the boats crossed the start line you seen everyone head to the water. I still get goosebumps everytime this happens. The look on everyones faces is great. Most of these people have never even seen a powerboat and you can see their amazed. But a few laps into it i can hear people saying is their anymore boats. I was sad to see the small turnout but im glad their is still one. You hear hear talk of wanting this unified association but when is someone going to take action. You want fans and sponsorship money but i dont see it happening when you spread races across the country especially when their is so few doing it. They should of had an oss race this wknd too. Im not implying i have a great knowledge of racing or boats, im just a fan who would love to see this thrive and be talked about more than just on this site. I would like to say thank you to teams who made it to Cocoa and NY, even though they were a few miles apart.
Well put brotha... The signs of the times...
Old 08-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Registered

The Cocoa race was a fill in race and put on the schedule last min. Next yr will be much better at a new date so teams can plan their schedule a head of time. This was a bad weekend with Mich City 2 wks ago and NY in 2 wks alot of boat stayed up north for NY.. Loto is next weekend also so a lot of boat r gearing up for that. There are also 5-6 boat that got beat up in MC and werent ready . Mixed Emotions , Dark Dog, Crazy Chicken, JD Byrider and a few others that tried but just couldnt get it togther in time. With the promotion starting very soon for next yr Cocoa should be even bigger and better.

With the economy being what it is right now you r going to see teams picking and choosing races instead of doing a full schedule this yr. With KW coming soon everyone is watching there pennies getting ready for the the Worlds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.