Old 11-19-2007, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 369 Likes on 248 Posts
Default Champlain To New-york !!!

Anyone did this?
How many days to do this trip?
Is it just slow speed canals?
Plenty of places to sleep? (docks, hotel)
Any mall on the way? (wife)
Anything negative about waterdepth, conditions or else?
worth the trip to see the statue by the water?

Planning to go there in 2008! any comments are welcomed!
Old 11-19-2007, 06:23 AM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't speak for all the locks but it is mostly slow speed travel until you complete the last one and your in the Hudson then it is clear running all the way to NYC.

I would like to do the trip up to Lake Champlain myself someday, so it would be great to hear from you when you accomplish it.

If you are interested, let me know when you plan to make your trip I would be glad to catch up with you and run with you to NYC. I am on the Hudson River out of Marlboro, NY (West shore Marina) 75 miles South of Albany.

JB
Old 11-19-2007, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

a buddy of mine took 2 jet skis from long island up the huson to canada and back in 4 days. 2 of these
Attached Thumbnails Champlain To New-york !!!-w-3passenger_over.jpg  
Old 11-19-2007, 02:07 PM

from friends that did it from NYC to Champlain, they took 2 or 3 days. No problems with water or places to stay, however they were staying on their boat at marinas. There IS a speed limit on the canal, which would be no big deal, except the lock tenders keep track of how long it takes you to get from each one, so if you go too fast, they know it. First is a warning, after that I assume a ticket. My friends didn't try and find out. They just ran at speed, then stopped for x amount of time until there average was what the speed should be (10 or 15 mph), and went like that.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:18 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a kid, we did Champlaigne a few times and alos did a Brooklyn to Montreal trip. It was made into a 2 week trip. (You may want to spend a day somewhere along the trip.) You'll need to research the marinas and gas docks. We never had any problems with getting a slip. And yes there is speed restrictions between the locks. We got hasseled alot at the locks, but that probably had something to do with my father. One stop that always stood out was Whitehall which I believe is lock 13. It's weel worth the trip. I would do it again if I could.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:48 PM
Registered

I've made the trips a bunch of times since i was a kid and i cant wait to take my kids this summer . Its an awesome little trip everything the guys said above is true.Its about 2-3 days about a day and a half threw the locks 5-10 mph.Have fun!
Old 11-19-2007, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2-3 days one way or back and forth?
Old 11-19-2007, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by live wire
I've made the trips a bunch of times since i was a kid and i cant wait to take my kids this summer . Its an awesome little trip everything the guys said above is true.Its about 2-3 days about a day and a half threw the locks 5-10 mph.Have fun!
hey! Nice picture in your avatar! Can you post it so we can enlarge it?
Old 11-19-2007, 08:32 PM
Registered

It is 2-3 days one way due to the time it takes to get thru the locks once you hit the southern most lock (TROY ) its about 4-6 hrs to NYC. There is plenty of places to stop.You can PM me when your ready to make the trip I'll give you heads up on were to stop and what to see ,as I said Its a awesome trip.You'll pass this bridge on the way. (Bear Mountain Bridge)
Attached Thumbnails Champlain To New-york !!!-img_4260.jpg  
Old 11-20-2007, 08:35 PM
rjr
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the trip from lock 5 on the Hudson (Champlain barge canal) to New Haven CT. in September. Took one day and 125 gallons to get from Schylerville to Poughkeepsie Great trip!!! Schylerville marina is VERY basic $1.50 / ft power and water included. They also have gas. Very nice folks. In the locks put a fender board a foot or to up from the swim platform another 3 - 4 feet in front of the windshield when going through. Watch out for the slim when you take in the boards. Going down I looped a line around a Ballard and held on to it as I dropped. Not sure what to do going up. They have lines hanging down you can use or pipes to loop a rope around. Pretty slimmy, wear neoprene gloves or throwaways. Lock keepers were very glad to see us but it was late fall and they were probably bored. " ? by the Hudson" on the West bank of the Hudson just North of the Poughkeepsie bridge is a pretty nice bar restaurant that was offering a free dock for the night. No power or water though. Poughkeepsie to Bridgeport Ct (another 125 gallons) took the next day. Cruising around 35 most of the way. In the canal ( Lock 5 to Troy) I slowed down to 10 MPH near docks & other boats. Probably would have been irritated if I was in a hurry so don't be in a rush. Hudson was surprisingly rough going past Storm King Mountain and through the Tappan Zee. Nothing that would cause a problem in a 382 but you might get some spray. I recommend going all the way around Manhatten. It;s a GREAT trip. Lastly, get a cruising guide. I don't think the bridges or the water depths are a problem for a 382 but I am not certain. CAUTION I did see something that looked like it was blocking the entrance to the Harlem Rive from the Hudson but I could not be certain what it was. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Champlain To New-york !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.