Notices

Guest Etiquette

Old 08-24-2010, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Guests are just that - guests. I do not invite people to boat with me to subsidize my hobby. I enjoy the company. I do not ask anything of those I invite to come boating with me. I find with very few exceptions that most folks offer gas money. I always decline the offer. If we stop for food/drink, most will offer to pick up my tab. I sometimes will accept that offer. If we are planning to anchor and eat on the boat, we work out who is bringing what ahead of time with everyone contributing equally.
Ditto, well said, I'm the same way.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I always have the boat filled with gas and usually in the water already before quests show up. I never accept any cash when offered. I am open when people offer to bring food or there own drinks but sometimes that even runs into a little bit of a problem because they want to bring multiple coolers and suit case full of luggage. I have limited space to work with.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess our situation is sort of different. My brother (25) and myself (22) are pretty much the only ones that use our boat, so we split the gas. We moor our boat at a beach club in our bay and it stays there all summer. The bay is only about a mile and a bit long and so all day long we just hop from peoples houses to other beach clubs. For the most part we ski/wakeboard/wakesurf a lot so that is where we spend the majority of our gas. I don't mind taking people for pulls if i have offered, but it sort of bugs me when people say lets go skiing and then its them and a couple of friends that wanna go ski. As far as food and drink, we all have our own charge accounts at the beach club so your're on your own!
Old 08-24-2010, 11:02 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phragle
Well, since my boat hasn't seen the water since I started school, Im basically amongst the boat ride moocher crowd. Also being back in school and not working much I am pretty poor. Even at being poor, I try to be generous to the extent I can, offering what I can. whether its a place to crash in the motr home, some beverages (at races I usually have a cooler of beer nd offer freely, I drink capt. so I buy the beer for the purpose of handing out). As for the boat rides, it really depends on who I am boating with. Within my circle of local friends, they know my situation, they know I will help tying up etc. and that if they ever need anything whether its boating related or not, all they have to do is call. With extended friends etc. I do try and offer what I can. I have done a few poker runs with the patriyachts and given gas money, Last weekend I went up to Charlevoix to hang with Wrinkleface on his Nortech, and picked up dinner and drinks. Next summer I will be done with school and either have the nova back in the water or a new boat and I would't expect nor ask anything from my friends for going out on the boat with me. They are my friends, I enjoy spending time with them, thats why they are my friends. I only expect them to have a good time doing something we enjoy. I will invite them because I want to spend time with them and as their host the boat will have gas and the cooler will have beer. Worrying about who chipped in their fair share or who brought what to drink only detracts from the whole purpose of going boating with your friends.

It's been said that 'Thanks Man! doesn't put gas in the tank, but it's that ear to ear grin when a friend says thanks that boating with friends is all about.
Phragle, every one here knows that you have gone back to school, you get a free pass and would be welcome on my boat any time.

The penguin is another matter.

Cheers
Old 08-24-2010, 11:24 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
There two kind of passengers, those that get it . . . . and those that dont.
I don't expect anything of my passengers either.. I invited them because I want them to be there and time after time they try and throw money over.. It's greatly appreciated but I don't want it.

Most of my boating friends pay for incidentals but even then I don't really feel comfortable with it.

I think Dave says it right... some get it, some don't.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:25 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Time
Poker runs are different. If I do a poker run I will normally set it up in advance with a buddy or two who are willing to split the entry fee, the understanding being that any winnings will also be split evenly. Seems to keep the costs down and there is some incentive to want to chip in (splitting the pot!). Otherwise I pick up all the other expenses.
I usually do the same thing!
Old 08-25-2010, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by specialk
I am open when people offer to bring food or there own drinks but sometimes that even runs into a little bit of a problem because they want to bring multiple coolers and suit case full of luggage. I have limited space to work with.
Yeah, you have to love it when they show up with enough supplies for a weeklong vacation! I'm like, folks, I have towels and sunscreen and stuff on board.....
Old 08-25-2010, 07:32 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by CigDaze
My invited guests pay for nothing on my boat. Lunch or a couple cocktails afterwords are always appreciated, but I expect nothing.
I would agree with this, however I did have to "uninvite" someone for never offering with anything. it only came to words after I stopped returning his texts or phone calls, which ironically only came on Fri afternoon..hmmm go figure.

I pay for everything for the boat, fuel, oil dock fees and tipping dock attendants, (because some people don't know to). I always have a cooler full of beer and waters and usually hit a restaurant to eat. the guy above would count out his bill and then add a 10% tip to his portion.

Last edited by offshoredrillin; 08-25-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody has respect anymore, or pride in contributing there fair share with out it being suggested, or in many cases demanded of them. Specially this new generation of punk ass college kids that don't work and live on mommy and daddys credit cards cause there going to school "full time" yet go out drinking every night! My buddies run around with a bunch of freeloader college kids that do nothing but devour food and beer and space on his boat. Drove me nuts since I always bought the beer, pulled the boat with my truck and paid for all the diesel fuel plus chipped him boat gas money and helped with slip rent. He wouldn't step up to these people or point out that everyone needs to help out and basically told me tough ****, don't like it don't come. 2 weeks later I bought my boat, he has nothing to pull his with and has to buy all his own beer and everyone elses, and my time on the water has never been better :-)
Old 08-25-2010, 08:04 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I generally buy all the fuel.

I have been a boat owner since i was 18 and when your going out everyday skiing and burning fuel it gets expensive for a 20 year old. We always split everything back then. Know that i can afford a new powerboat i dont expect anyone to pay for gas.

But i do expect each guy that comes to bring two girls....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.