Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Starting my Boat Search (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/237515-starting-my-boat-search.html)

1MOSES1 08-24-2010 12:20 PM

also keep in mind that baja's usually use big blocks (454, 496, or 496HO)...They tend to consume a lot more fuel than a small block...

dont qoute me on this but I think a twin 496 setup will consume around 30-35 gallons per hour (if not more)depending on conditions, speed, crew, etc...for me that was too much so i vouched for a boat with smaller motors.

another thing you should keep in mind that i forgot about mentioning is the choice between a deep v hull and a stepped hull...they have different ride charecteristics...baja obv only provides deep v. you should experience both.

Dave M 08-24-2010 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by sleev-les (Post 3189675)
I am a speed junkie,

Good luck with your search. I'm in MD too and "in the market" for my next boat.

Not trying to bash Bajas, but they certainly aren't the fastest boats on the water. If speed is what you want, I would do a little more homework.

sleev-les 08-24-2010 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dave M (Post 3189741)
Good luck with your search. I'm in MD too and "in the market" for my next boat.

Not trying to bash Bajas, but they certainly aren't the fastest boats on the water. If speed is what you want, I would do a little more homework.

They may not be the fastest, but I do like the overall boat. Like I said too, I am keeping my options open. Just want to make sure I buy what I'm really looking for in the end.

1MOSES1 08-24-2010 02:29 PM

you will get differing opinions on baja's...

some say they are a low end boat (not built well) while others swear by them (best bang for the buck)...

personally when i went looking (just my opinion)...after seeing a formula fastech's build quality the baja was ehhh not that great...again thats just my opinion. im not bashing baja as they do offer a lot for the money. i just went for quality over quantity.

some examples:

1. fastech offers electric bolsters, baja doesnt
2. fastech offers sinks where most 30< baja's dont
3. formula ultra leather is some of the best i have felt, baja uses cheaper vinyl inside
4. formula offers stainless steel cup olders, bajas are plastic

just some examples...thats why i mention keep an open mind.

BLee 08-24-2010 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by sleev-les (Post 3189570)
I am starting to look at buying a boat, specifically a Baja (25 to 30ft Outlaw). Out of all the different "go fast" boats I've seen, I like them the best.

While Baja does build a nice boat, I highly doubt that of ALL of the Offshore boats you've seen, this is your absolute favorite. If so, then congratulations on your first performance boat, being your dream boat! :drink:

The budget you listed, is a decent amount to shop with for your first boat in the used market right now, so stay patient in your search.

I would definitely go with twins if you can, for many of the reasons already listed, as well as not having the feeling of needing to move up in size or power too soon, as if you were to go with a single from the start. While the used market is better for buying right now, make sure you buy what you REALLY want first, because you will likely not be able to just sell what you got quickly, & move to something else, should you decide that you'd rather go another direction right after buying.

I would take the advice Spicy offered, & get to know some of the people in their boat club around Maryland as well. This can save you a LOT of time, and money, by getting the opinions of others that have boated in your area for quite awhile, before pulling the trigger on something.

Good luck in your search! When you're looking for opinions on the forums, try to make sure whoever is giving you their take on something, is someone that has an adequate amount of advance knowledge, before taking their opinion to the bank. Sometime you can be talking to someone that hasn't been boating for more than a week, or you could be talking to a 14 year old. There are a LOT of really good, knowledgable boaters on OSO, so you've definitely found a great place to discuss performance boats.

Dave M 08-24-2010 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by moses0324 (Post 3189785)
you will get differing opinions on baja's...

That's for sure. My comment has NOTHING to do with quality, price, features, or opinion. Just MPH.

sleev-les 08-24-2010 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Spicy (Post 3189674)
Welcome...
Where on the Bay do you live and plan on boating? The Bay can be very angry at times. there are alot of guys on this forum from the Maryland area. I would recommend checking out our local club (link below) also for events,, raft ups, gatherings, Poker Runs, and our Annual Race that is in October this year.

www.cbpba.com

Thanks Pat

I currently go out on the Magothy and that is where I will be storing as well. I will be boating around the Chesapeake, Servern, South Rivers etc. Sometimes across to the Redeye Dockbar. I def. agree with the bay comment. I took my ski out there and I was miserable.. Granted, that was an 11ft craft. I will def. check out your page. I'd really be interested in talking with local boaters here. I am definitely open to opinions and others experiences with particular makes.

....and BLee, you are right. I have seen others that I like even more, but the pricetag is also a lot higher too on some of them. I like the Sonics, Checkmates, Fountains, Pantera's. I don't know much about any of the other makes. Just in this thread though, I've seen a few comments on the Formulas too

Drock78 08-24-2010 06:40 PM

buy something that will handle the water you boat all the time. when shopping for my first boat i was dead set on a 1999 Baja 25 outlaw until rode in one on Lake Michigan. The water there gets pretty snotty at times, nothing to get into 4ft of chop anyday of the week. I ended up with a Powerquest legend. liked the looks of the baja better but LOVE the ride and options in the powerquest. Rides and options of a much larger boat. A good friend of mine has a 29 outlaw and he says my boat rides better hands down. mine also has more headroom in the cabin, a freshwater system and a pumpout. not many 25ft boats have those. Sonics are sweet, agressive looking boats but are narrow. Just my 2cents but powerquests are very well built boats.

BY U BOY 08-24-2010 07:41 PM

check out the 31 sonic in the classifieds for 46K boat is clean and runs like a raped ape with 1400+ HP

sleev-les 08-24-2010 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by BY U BOY (Post 3189985)
check out the 31 sonic in the classifieds for 46K boat is clean and runs like a raped ape with 1400+ HP

That is carborated, right?

That would be another question....... Carborated is more upkeep than FI.... ? What could be some arguments for Carb vs FI?