Notices

chevy truck question

Old 08-26-2010, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry B
When I was looking for a truck I thiught about the Duramax. I'm a tech at a GMC dealer and right at that time we had 3 of them in the shop with injector problems. i didnt want any of that. Back in 03 the injectors were a big job to put in. They now are much easier so that is a good thing. Anyway I bought the 8.1 and have no complaints.
Also on the new diesels did any of you know you now have a fluid tank and injector to add this fluid directly to the exhaust. This fluid will freeze so there is also a heater and I think will run out after about 3 tanks of fuel. Also if ran out I beleive it will also go into reduced power mode. There was about a 6 page document on the new exhaust system. I have forgotten most of it now but pretty interesting.
I touched on urea injection a few posts up. If u run out of fluid the truck won't even start. A full tank of dpf fluid will last between 5-7k miles. Reduced power mode is more for if u hurt your tranny u can still make it home. Locks in 3rd gear.

Originally Posted by Velocity Tom
Does the alison trans have a wine to it.
Only wine I've ever heard is from gaser, powerstroke, and cummins guys about how awesome my truck pulls lmfao

Originally Posted by rlj676
A new D-max's performance kills the BBC. However, a 2001 stock Dmax vs the BB? I'm not so sure. I'd say the BBC will be more responsive, and nearly equivalent torque. Mileage was the big differentiator.
Id put our 03 first gen. Lb7 Duramax up against any 8.1 tow for tow. That truck with just a power pup and k&n fipk got 22-23 mpg not towing and 15-16 towing our snocross trailer at 80.