If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

First Time Buyer

I'm a first time buyer looking at performance off shore boats. Currently looking at a 1991 Wellcraft 31 Excel and a 1994 Baja 29 OS. Looking for suggestions on what to look for on these models and age boats. Thanks in advance for any help.

Platinum Member Platinum Member Too Stroked's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Progression 22 w/ Diamond Marine Mercury 2.5 / 200
    Rochester, NY
    In either one of those boats, have a good surveyor check for rot / moisture in the stringers and transom. Personally, I've always been of the opinion that most Scarabs were built better than most Bajas. Both of those brands had hull blistering problems in certain years and Bajas in general have had some pretty wimpy stringers around the engine mounts.

What engines / drives do they have? How many hours? Salt water or fresh water? A quick check of the fluids (engine oil, drive lube, etc.) can tell you a lot about the condition of those bad boys.

My Boats:
    97 41' Saber --Ancestral Spirit
    Kingsville----lake erie
    Whats your budget, where do you boat, and what are you looking to do with it? There are quite a few boats in that size range that could be better candidates than those models depending on the answers to the above questions.
    Don't make the same mistake alot of us on here have made with the 'first boat purchase' -- take your time and read alot of the threads on here, there's some really good info.