Notices

Wood for Trailer Bunks

Old 05-06-2002, 05:43 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wood for Trailer Bunks

Hey guys I asked this question before but my tiny brain has forgotten the answer. What kind of wood is best for trailer bunks. If that wood is not available what is the second best option? I am looking to make a HUGE improvement on my trailer this year and that is the first stop.

Jon

Last edited by Audiofn; 05-06-2002 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-06-2002, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best wood I have found is wolmanized......of course and wood is better than what I have found on most trailers. Buy some outdoor carpet, wrap, staple it and you will be fine. There is no bullet proof wear and tear cloth

Last edited by enticer; 05-06-2002 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-06-2002, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cypress (sp?) holds up great to water and elements. Might be over-kill, but I think it should do well on a boat trailer. Also, I've not tried it yet, but several OSOers suggested a spray from marine dealers to slicken up the carpet to make loading the boat easier.
Old 05-06-2002, 06:12 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

CheckmateF1's brand new American High Performance Trailer was delivered with all cypress bunks. They appear to be a bit stiffer than the other woods I have seen, (no comments).

We replaced all the wood on my trailer last year with pressure treated pine, the long ones special ordered 4" x 10" x 14 feet, and the front hull cradle supports from Home Depot. My trailer is holding up great, and looks great too. A lot better than when Rocket delivered it to the original owner. It even tows better. Also, go for the Fish'n'Ski carpet from Home Depot. It works great, with stainless steel staples.

Rots or ruck!
Old 05-06-2002, 08:11 PM
Banned

Cypress for sure. Too bad you aren't closer to Florida, I have a stack of them left over from last years debacle of building trailers (had a drunk and thief for a partner). A couple weeks ago, I changed the carpet on my open fish trailer. I have had it for 14 years, and the wood is still solid as it can be. The V block was made from pt wood, and was soft and half rotten. As far as carpet, I used a decent indoor outdoor from home depot, so I could get the color that matched my bimini (deep green). As it worked out, the more expensive carpet actually cost me less, because it came on a wider roll, so that one length wide would cover my bunks, whereas in the cheaper carpet, I would have had to buy it longer and had more wasted. I don't remember the name of it, but it is fairly soft and is wider than the two cheaper carpets they have. I used monel staples to attach it. My gf and I did the whole job in a little over two hours. I have pictures of the process if you want to see them. While I was at it, I put on new wheels and tires, coupler, and diamond plate fenders. It looks like a new trailer. I have a new winch to install too.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find a real lumber yard in your area and ask them for Cypress beams. 4" x 6" are usually available.

With full thickness Cypress beams do it once and its over. Never think about them again.

All of the better trailer manufactures down here in the south use Cypress.

Ron
Old 05-06-2002, 09:37 PM
Registered

Cypress, ruff cut, looking at 2 4x6x12, big stuff.
Old 05-06-2002, 11:55 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys that is what I remember was the best of course after you all said it

Jon