Surface Drives on Cats, Why Not???

Notices

Surface Drives on Cats, Why Not???

Old 09-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
Jimkid

Gotta say re-sale is far better than what your setup has looming for it!

A drive that you spent upwards of 80K on and is from what I hear from a company that is no longer in business.

Certainly not a recipe for value or any kind of resale.

The Arneson drive on the other hand, has been in business for over 30 years and have sales increasing ever year with a progressive rate of sales year after year. We are established and well known for being fast, safe and reliable not to mention we are here for the long haul so we will be around to service our products for years to come.

I would challenge you to put two 32' cats on the market, one with Bravo's and one with Arnesons. Which do you honestly think will sell for the most money and sell to a secondary buyer in less time. There's your answer for resale.
I had to rewrite the above.

Sorry Rik!

Comment:

Also I do not know why these boat owners go out and build 30 foot twin engine Skaters and fail to put Arneson drives on them---very puzzling.

I don't understand the phobia... pick the power whether it be small blocks, ILMOR motors to HP700's--- set-up the boat with Arnesons and be done. You will have a hella quick boat with reliability to last for years with little if any headaches.

Rik you did not mention that you can provide the drive in any custom color the customer desires. I recently looked at a gorgeous Formula with a Satin Pewter colored drive attached to an all silver Formula and it was gorgeous. A complete package with 1100HP motors and Arneson drives quick and reliable.

As for quoting set/random prices I think each application is different and this prompts Arneson from quoting a set price for X or Y applications. It is not too difficult to call Arneson and provide your needs and setup goals and have them quote you a price.

It's called doing a little homework!

KAP
Old 09-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by X-Rated30
I have always thought a 30' Skater with small blocks and ASD6's would be the ulitmate in low budget reliable 100+ mph boating.
Or you could buy the whole powertrain from Weismann. They're building a n/a 650hp SBC now to go with their new 1500hp shaft drive.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

I've had ASD-7M's on my Nor-Tech 3600 for a couple of years and they are great... Rik is someone you can call anytime and get answers to any question you might have and will definitely go the extra mile to make sure your satisfied...

I've never experienced any issues with the drive reliability and docking which I think is easier than with my old XR's... Great product and support from the manufacturer....

Jim

btw: the Nor-Tech Eddie referred to is mine... I just love the drives...
Attached Thumbnails Surface Drives on Cats, Why Not???-71649_446683132949_721502949_5483360_7697718_n.jpg   Surface Drives on Cats, Why Not???-imag0013.jpg  

Last edited by fountain4play; 01-22-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Registered

I know the subject is cats...but dose anyone have any experiance with a single surface drive on a 27 - 30' Vee...
and is it worth it...we cant fit the Indy drive on the Activator without cutting out the firewall..and I want to keep the back seat...but I want to use the boat as a race and pleasure boat and not have to worrie about refreshing the drives every 3 months.....

Thanks
Old 09-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Surface drive is the only way to push a good cat and arneson has great people to deal with and also a great propeller program. No matter what is in the boat it all comes down to the prop.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MANITIE
I know the subject is cats...but dose anyone have any experiance with a single surface drive on a 27 - 30' Vee...
and is it worth it...we cant fit the Indy drive on the Activator without cutting out the firewall..and I want to keep the back seat...but I want to use the boat as a race and pleasure boat and not have to worrie about refreshing the drives every 3 months.....

Thanks

Talk to Pat http://www.weismann.net/ About his dual prop surface drive

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/...ssions/190203/
Old 09-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Weismann, this is who Mercury Racing contracted to design the dry sump system for the SSM#6.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MANITIE

Thanks
Comment:

Yeah the best guy to talk to is Kevin Cooper he spent a ton of time on a 2750 Lavey Craft race boat in Super V Lite. The drive was a NXT2 a cambered skeg single engine surface drive V-Bottom.

I have also spent a ton of time, money and effort on single engine mod-vp type hull. It was very successful combination and I had the boat dialed in doing 120+MPH with roll over RPM in the 2900 range to plane boat out and wicked fast midrange and top end.

Originally Posted by AppSysCons
Weismann, this is who Mercury Racing contracted to design the dry sump system for the SSM#6.
Hello AppSysCons:

From what I remember the above is an incorrect statement brought on by internet rumor.

I believe they were brought in as consultants but not to design the number 6 drive. That was done by Mercury exclusively. I'm almost sure they were brought in for their expertise in a limited area.

This was a volatile topic regarding the number six drive awhile back.

I will try and find that information for you.

How is your boat running now? What does the hour meter show are you still driving it like your on a race course.

KAP
Old 09-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by kap328
Comment:

Yeah the best guy to talk to is Kevin Cooper he spent a ton of time on a 2750 Lavey Craft race boat in Super V Lite. The drive was a NXT2 a cambered skeg single engine surface drive V-Bottom.

I have also spent a ton of time, money and effort on single engine mod-vp type hull. It was very successful combination and I had the boat dialed in doing 120+MPH with roll over RPM in the 2900 range to plane boat out and wicked fast midrange and top end.

Hello AppSysCons:

From what I remember the above is an incorrect statement brought on by internet rumor.

I believe they were brought in as consultants but not to design the number 6 drive. That was done by Mercury exclusively. I'm almost sure they were brought in for their expertise in a limited area.

How is your boat running now? What does the hour meter show are you still driving it like your on a race course.

KAP
Then why was Pat working with Victory team on exactly that??
Old 09-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by kap328
Comment:

Hello AppSysCons:

KAP
I was racing with SBI and USO when the SSM#6 got dry sumped, and I recall that info (Weismann, this is who Mercury Racing contracted to design the dry sump system for the SSM#6.) coming from MR, but I guess anything is possible.

After changing (fixing) the set-up last summer 2009, it became real dependable. My Skater has about 125 hours on it, and once the FMO (Ft Myers Offshore) season starts up (Oct-April), I will put some hours on her. Each run for me is an average of 150 miles.

Last edited by AppSysCons; 09-06-2010 at 01:28 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.