Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best time to buy?  Now, early winter, wait till early 2011? >

Best time to buy? Now, early winter, wait till early 2011?

Notices

Best time to buy? Now, early winter, wait till early 2011?

Old 09-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Baja's are priced slightly less than the PQ's or other boat manufacturers that I've seen, that's why I've been looking at them.

Warning... noob question to follow...
-are the mechanical boat parts interchangeable from boat manufacturer to boat manufacturer?

Reason I'm asking is since the Baja's are so popular, I think I would have an easier time finding replacement parts and even at better price... similar to finding a 2000 Ford Mustang starter for a lot cheaper than a 2000 Porsche Boxster starter.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think with the used market being slow right now, that really any time is a good time to buy.

Unless someone just doesn't truely want to sell their boat, or they are a moron, most people aren't going to let a legit buyer go over a grand or two.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scrmnws6
-are the mechanical boat parts interchangeable from boat manufacturer to boat manufacturer?

For the most part, yes, they are all using the same running gear and you would be buying the same part no matter which boat model you have.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scrmnws6
Baja's are priced slightly less than the PQ's or other boat manufacturers that I've seen, that's why I've been looking at them.

Reason I'm asking is since the Baja's are so popular, I think I would have an easier time finding replacement parts and even at better price... similar to finding a 2000 Ford Mustang starter for a lot cheaper than a 2000 Porsche Boxster starter.
Most all mfg's use the same "hard parts". Mercury, Livorsi, Gaffrig, Imco are some of the big ones. The mfg will do the hull/dash and probably the interior/cockpit. Everything else will be universal most likely.