Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Outerlimits Fuel Tanks Leaching? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/238381-outerlimits-fuel-tanks-leaching.html)

Knot 4 Me 09-08-2010 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 3202507)
Whew, glad I saw this before I put my deposit down on a 51 GTX with triple 1075's! :D

I think some of this goes under the concept of "if you can afford the boat then you can afford the issues that come along with it." A gas tank replacement is surely cheaper than the insurance on a cat of the same HP and that bill comes annually!

You wouldn't be crying in Joe's ear if your Sunny's tank was leaching?

LV 09-08-2010 01:39 PM

What does Cigarette use for fuel tanks?I have never heard of any issues, just wondering!

pm203 09-08-2010 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by LV (Post 3202549)
What does Cigarette use for fuel tanks?I have never heard of any issues, just wondering!

Aluminum. They looked into composite tanks ,but passed.

Marginmn 09-08-2010 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 3202507)
Whew, glad I saw this before I put my deposit down on a 51 GTX with triple 1075's! :D

I think some of this goes under the concept of "if you can afford the boat then you can afford the issues that come along with it." A gas tank replacement is surely cheaper than the insurance on a cat of the same HP and that bill comes annually!

While it is certainly true that boats are not good investments, and I never think of them as such, who in their right mind wants to go through the hassle of ripping the gas tanks out of a high end boat they just purchased - and the million headaches and safety isues that go along with having bad tanks. In fact I can't think of a single person that I know on OSO who would not be pissed to no end if they bought a boat only to find after the fact that there was a widespread problem with defective fuel tanks in that make of boat.

You are way off the mark on this one Jupiter.

Steve 1 09-08-2010 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by pm203 (Post 3202551)
Aluminum. They looked into composite tanks ,but passed.

Smart move.

Steve 1 09-08-2010 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Marginmn (Post 3202552)
While it is certainly true that boats are not good investments, and I never think of them as such, who in their right mind wants to go through the hassle of ripping the gas tanks out of a high end boat they just purchased - and the million headaches and safety isues that go along with having bad tanks. In fact I can't think of a single person that I know on OSO who would not be pissed to no end if they bought a boat only to find after the fact that there was a widespread problem with defective fuel tanks in that make of boat.

You are way off the mark on this one Jupiter.

The problem is the fumes a fuel/air explosive has been described as a poor mans atom bomb. Our military has some real cool stuff on that concept.

Marginmn 09-08-2010 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Steve 1 (Post 3202572)
The problem is the fumes a fuel/air explosive has been described as a poor mans atom bomb. Our military has some real cool stuff on that concept.

Yikes. :eek:

pm203 09-08-2010 04:31 PM

So, what were/ are the years they used these tanks? Anyone?

animalhouse 09-08-2010 04:58 PM

there were ATL fuel bladders used in certain boats in 2005 & 2006

LV 09-08-2010 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by animalhouse (Post 3202746)
there were ATL fuel bladders used in certain boats in 2005 & 2006

That sux, kind of changes my plans, so what does it cost "roughly" to change the tanks?
Has this been done yet by the factory or any other reputable company?