Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Very Eerie sight!! Very sad!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/238474-very-eerie-sight-very-sad.html)

texaschopper 09-10-2010 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42 (Post 3204017)
What could have proabably been saved with a buch of work is quickly turning to garbage!

What would one do (hopefully the insurance compnay) in this situation with the boat? Gut it and sell a bare hull? As long as it stays submerged the decay will be kept at bay for a bit correct?

offshoredrillin 09-10-2010 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42 (Post 3204017)
The big boat is still under water for the 5th day.

what amazes me is the state hasn't stepped in and sent in a salvage crew to get it out of the waterway, i mean with it on it's side it has to be out in the channel a bit making it a hazard for other boats to get around.

LaughingCat 09-10-2010 10:04 AM

Freaky. Hard to believe a new boat is just left there. Is the owner traveling in a 3rd world country.

SpeedGirl 09-10-2010 10:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Is this a hose? :eek:

spk1 09-10-2010 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by SpeedGirl (Post 3204316)
Is this a hose? :eek:

Veryy good eye! Not saying that happenned, but I have seen the weekly wash guys leave a running hose with a spray nozzle on in in a boat, and have the nozzel break and sink the boat. In larger boats hoses are left in the cockpit alot. Now it would have to have been in one of the transom boxes, under the deck, because water will run out of the rear transom vents and not fill the cockpit, they are made that way in a sport fish, for when you back down on a fish, alot of time you get more than a foot or two of water in the cockpit when fighting a fish, then the water just runs back out of the transom vents.

teamsynergy 09-10-2010 12:45 PM

Isn't that how a certain outerlimits sank? BTW, This hose is for the fresh water hook up....

Strip Poker 388 09-10-2010 12:49 PM

that canal looks deeper than most in been on

handfulz28 09-10-2010 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin (Post 3204267)
what amazes me is the state hasn't stepped in and sent in a salvage crew to get it out of the waterway, i mean with it on it's side it has to be out in the channel a bit making it a hazard for other boats to get around.

It's in a "residential" canal so the state doesn't care (city/county issue)...until a manatee is in trouble. :lolhit: It's a pretty wide canal too, so it doesn't take up that much. And it's a dead-end, so not much boat traffic.

If it's not leaking, nobody will be in a hurry to get it out. I figure at some point the city/county will start issuing citations with daily fines. That "might" light a fire under the homeowner, or it might not.

There aren't a lot of places that can haul a 60' Ocean. It'll end up at one of the yards in the Dania Cutoff Canal.

dodgezilla04 09-10-2010 04:35 PM

even if it was sank with a hose... who leaves a boat like that without bilge pumps on or atleast a bilge alarm???

spk1 09-10-2010 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by dodgezilla04 (Post 3204573)
even if it was sank with a hose... who leaves a boat like that without bilge pumps on or atleast a bilge alarm???

Probably didnt sink with a garden hose, but something more prevalent in the engine room, the bilges would most likely keep up with most smaller leaks, sometimes when you have a boat of this size behind your house, your breaker, can flip, or your electrical connection can get streched or pulled out due to tide, cord getting hung on a cleat, etc, I check mine every two or three days, and its right there behind the house, and yes, a few times I have found either the breaker on the house flipped, or one on the boat, if that happens you go directly to battery power with no recharging, eventually the bilge drains the battery. High water alarms are great, but alot of boats just do not have them, and if the battery is dead, no sound, they do make a system that if a certain point in the engine room gets wet, it will email you or call your cell, expensive, but a great idea if you spend alot of time away from your boat.