Route help, Minn. to Ft Meyers Florida

Notices

Route help, Minn. to Ft Meyers Florida

Old 09-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Route help, Minn. to Ft Meyers Florida

I'm going to tow a boat from Minneapolis, Minnesota to Cape Coral, Florida. I'm using a 1T, gas motor truck to pull the rig. I've been told that taking HWY 65 from Nashville to Fla. #10 will cut out most of the mountains and add only a few miles to the trip. Any help/comments?
Old 09-07-2010, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

I have done the trip from St. Paul to Cape Coral many times I just went the way Garmin told me and the mountains were really not that bad. I think I went the same way as Google Shows.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default route to cape coral

Did you go from St Paul-Madison-Rockford-Bloomington-Nashville-Chattanooga-Atlanta-Cape Coral?
Any tips on the roads, speeds etc? Is a gas 1T able to make the steep grades in the mountains? I'm pulling a 38' boat on a triple axle trailer.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RMPRam
Did you go from St Paul-Madison-Rockford-Bloomington-Nashville-Chattanooga-Atlanta-Cape Coral?
Any tips on the roads, speeds etc? Is a gas 1T able to make the steep grades in the mountains? I'm pulling a 38' boat on a triple axle trailer.
I go from Mi all the time just take 65 to Nashville 24 to Chattanooga and 75 on down it will be fine. I pull a 36 center console with a Escalade and none of it is a problem. Have a great trip!!
Old 09-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mounteagle just west of Chattanooga is the only challenge.
Does your trailer have electric brakes? If not going down the backside is pretty hard on them. 6% grade.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RMPRam
Yes, that is the way I went. I came down with a 3/4 ton Gas Dodge and a Formula 311(33ft overall) and never had any issues. The trip was easy except comming down a few of the steep hills. You shouldnt have any issues.

One bit of advice if you are planning on towing at night with a gas truck make sure you fill up when ever you get a chance. When I was driving down it was sometime between 2 and 5am (somewhere between St. Louis an Nashville) and I was looking for an open gas station and could not easily find one. I had to go into a Waffle House and ask if anyone knew of a gas station open that was close by.

Last edited by Maritime_Eng; 09-07-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks for the help. I saw that you can go south from Nashville on RT #65 to Birmingham/Montgomery and then to Fla. #10 and avoid the mountains. It seems as if it is only 60 miles farther than going through Chattanooga and Atlanta, but I've heard that 65 is rough. Any thoughts from people that have taken this route
Old 09-07-2010, 06:23 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Gary, I've heard both opinions on it. Dennis has driven it many times, give him a ring. Going through the mountains is definately more scenic, but you can get stuck in some pretty good traffic in Chattanooga and Atlanta. IMO, go the route with no construction.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whats da matter BIG Daddy ??? u dont like Chattanooga LOL .hauled our Cat 963 to hudson/newport richie fl on the Lowboy and Chattanooga sucked Ballz