Notices

More power out of 6.2's

Old 09-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormrider
Austin, call Laz Mesa.
Thats a name I have heard latley, I wonder what he's been up to,I miss his build/dyno threads

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done quite a bit of researched for upgrades to the 6.2 and I'm sorry to have to report that there is no inexpensive way to get the power you want.

I have a pair of 6.2's in my Formula 312. After my stock exhaust manifolds rusted out I also replaced them with Stainless Marine manifolds and I lost horsepower!

The 6.2 is a great engine, for the power range. But all the components are designed to that one specific power setting of about 320 HP. The Stainless Marine manifolds flow more exhaust, but in this engine, if its not coupled to improvements in the intake manifold and the heads, then the exhaust is sub-optimized and actually hurts performance.

If you are trying to upgrade the 6.2, the best option I found was to bolt on a Whipple super charge. That was what I was thinking when I replaced the stock exhaust manifolds with the SM ones.

But if you do the math, with all the stuff you have to do to the 6.2 you are probably better off just selling the engine and buying a 496 HO or 502HO. Also, you can boost the power of the 6.2 but you will be stressing an engine that wasn't designed for really high power.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Praetorian
If you are trying to upgrade the 6.2, the best option I found was to bolt on a Whipple super charge. That was what I was thinking when I replaced the stock exhaust manifolds with the SM ones.

But if you do the math, with all the stuff you have to do to the 6.2 you are probably better off just selling the engine and buying a 496 HO or 502HO. Also, you can boost the power of the 6.2 but you will be stressing an engine that wasn't designed for really high power.
This is good advice. OSO member UncleToys had nightmare experiences a few years ago with Whippling the 6.2s, it was well documented on the board but his posts have since disappeared. Not sure if he deleted all his posts as he became a "un-member" here or if the mods destroyed them but it left an impression on me as I followed his story.

In any event, I think the OP should just be happy with his boat and enjoy the reliability of the stock 6.2s, there's something to be said for going down to the dock and getting in a boat that starts everytime. My boating philosophy has always been to lay off the mods to engines that weren't built for it, if you want faster/bigger/better just save and get a new boat or engines that will do exactly what they're designed to do.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with not building them,Do they even have forged pistons? Or will they be like the 496s.I did put IMCO exhaust on mine but just there version of the stock manifolds and while I did not gain any top end did not loss any either.But what I did gain is with 270lbs off the back of the boat in planes quicker and rides better.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Registered

Austin, What speeds are you reaching now ? Do you remember reading on the Pantera site about a O/B powered 28... that my be the way to go. "HIGH LIFE"
Old 09-12-2010, 01:05 PM
Registered

Probably shouldn't let the cat out of the bag but here's a little upgrade that will net you a couple of MPH. For some reason The original spider caps & rotors seem to hold these motors back a bit. I have replaced dist caps & rotors on many 6.2's (which are out of warranty) with replacements from Advance Auto parts. They are BWD manufacture # DS161 on the cap and DS 157 on the rotors. On a 330 Formula with 6.2's that has been running 52 MPH (This is the speed out of the box for this particular boat) since delivery back in 2002 now runs 58 MPH and bangs the rev limiter. The owner was amazed and couldn't believe it. To prove to him that this was the reason I swapped back to brand new merc kits and ran the boat. 52 MPH as original. Swapped back to the BWD's and back to 58MPH. I believe the phasing on the rotor/cap is a bit different on the aftermarket causing an increase in timing and the increase in RPM. The other plus is that they are half the cost of the merc units. I have been doing this for years with no engine failures.

I'm sure there will be a bunch of neah sayers but this has been the case with over a dozen boats I service regularely. $30.00 per side cap and rotor. Give it a try and report back.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Lauderdaleboats
Probably shouldn't let the cat out of the bag but here's a little upgrade that will net you a couple of MPH. For some reason The original spider caps & rotors seem to hold these motors back a bit. I have replaced dist caps & rotors on many 6.2's (which are out of warranty) with replacements from Advance Auto parts. They are BWD manufacture # DS161 on the cap and DS 157 on the rotors. On a 330 Formula with 6.2's that has been running 52 MPH (This is the speed out of the box for this particular boat) since delivery back in 2002 now runs 58 MPH and bangs the rev limiter. The owner was amazed and couldn't believe it. To prove to him that this was the reason I swapped back to brand new merc kits and ran the boat. 52 MPH as original. Swapped back to the BWD's and back to 58MPH. I believe the phasing on the rotor/cap is a bit different on the aftermarket causing an increase in timing and the increase in RPM. The other plus is that they are half the cost of the merc units. I have been doing this for years with no engine failures.

I'm sure there will be a bunch of neah sayers but this has been the case with over a dozen boats I service regularely. $30.00 per side cap and rotor. Give it a try and report back.

Great tip, thanks!
Old 09-12-2010, 01:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Lauderdaleboats

Thanks
Old 09-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Great tip, thanks!
Originally Posted by Expensive Date
Thanks
If you guys can pick up even 1 mph for $60 you owe this man a beer. If you try it out report back, sounds like a cool deal.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Registered

This would be great... and worth several cases if it works. I have tryed to look up those part numbers online and can't find anything in the Advanced Auto Parts site. Back in the Bahamas now so I can't just drive up to the store- downside of living on an island. If anyone finds these online please post url.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.