Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How many of you carry a spare prop onboard? >

How many of you carry a spare prop onboard?

Notices

How many of you carry a spare prop onboard?

Old 05-08-2002, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I carry an aluminum Mercury prop and an extra nut and washer. It is lighter than a stainless steel prop so it is less of a problem bouncing around. Also, I wrap the prop in an old T-shirt or bedsheet to keep the blade edges covered. It is not a sharp prop but just an extra measure.
Old 05-08-2002, 01:54 PM
Jeff

since I down graded from #V's to Bravo's I guess I should carry an extra drive.

Old 05-08-2002, 02:03 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

I have 2 aluminum and one stainless. I always carry one extra aluminum in the boat along with the nut/thrust washer kit. I was out a couple years ago and really beat a blade so bad it vibrated the boat. I drove the rest of the day barely on plane, so I learned my lesson to keep an extra on board!
Old 05-08-2002, 03:13 PM
HydroScream

Smile

I Always carry an extra prop!

.... after i once did a prop up so bad it was only good for a paper weight....damn rocks

Old 05-08-2002, 03:49 PM
kook

Originally posted by Cord
Last year when I was running a poker run, I just happened to have two props with me. This is a pretty rare event but the prop that I wanted to use had a tough time getting on plane, and I wasn't sure how it would work in the rough water. Well, about halfway through the run, the prop threw a blade. I sure was glad that I just happened to have a spare one because it would have been a very long idle back.
What make/model prop, and were any mods made to it?

Old 05-08-2002, 05:52 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

It was a stock Hydromotive. The break was real rough and jagged. Almost looked like a piece of broken granite. My dealer warned me that this would happen (he's got a shelf full of busted hydros) and I had the prop on the boat for only a few hours when it let go.
Old 05-08-2002, 06:35 PM
Registered

Allways if not for me, maybe help someone else out!!!
Old 05-09-2002, 10:21 PM
kook

Originally posted by Cord
It was a stock Hydromotive. The break was real rough and jagged. Almost looked like a piece of broken granite. My dealer warned me that this would happen (he's got a shelf full of busted hydros) and I had the prop on the boat for only a few hours when it let go.
hmmmmmmmmm... I figured so. Was the prop heat treated?

Old 05-09-2002, 11:44 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I carry two and just installed holders easy to do since I'm in the middle of a re-rig. they were a lot cheaper then I thought the would be around 45.00.
Attached Thumbnails How many of you carry a spare prop onboard?-pq-rebuild-026.jpg  
Old 05-10-2002, 12:08 AM
99BOSS272

I carry a spare mirage 23p

Quick Reply: How many of you carry a spare prop onboard?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.