Notices

A tale of heros...today and yesterday

Old 09-22-2010, 11:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Outstanding!! CongradulationTeam Sonic ! Jo
Old 09-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 79 Posts

[QUOTE=Top Banana;3213489]My wife and I are having dinner tonight with Dean Gibbs and his wife. Dean is the British team owner with the 52 foot Outerlimits that raced last weekend Around Long Island. We met for a short time today and he said that he already has texts and e-mails from other owners in Europe and the UK, that he feels they will be coming back next year with at least four teams, to get that trophy and bring it back to Europe.

The dinner was quite enlightening. The Brits are very serious about getting a real offshore world circuit going again. They were very impressed with Billy Frenz and his satellite beacons on each boat. They use a similar system but said this one was much better. They loved the location that Guy La Motta provided.

They loved the fact that this is so close to NYC and could be used by many potential sponsors, to really make an impact with their marketing promotions, and showcase their products to a major part of the US population and center of influence.

They in short would like to make this Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island Race as one of their races on the world circuit. The others would be, Cowes - Torquay and the London to Monte Carlo. They are unearthing many of the old trophies they have over there and will be using them for victories in various classes.

And don't forget, they are putting on the Around Britain Race in 2011.

We of course, would not have many competitors who would travel the world like that, but at least we would know that we are competiting agsinst the very best that Europe has to offer when they race here in the States.

For our own circuit, we would want to limit it, to no more than four races spread over a year. The New York race, one in the Great Lakes, we already have an offer to help with that one. One in California....hopefully we can work with a group out there. And last but not least, Florida.

Any offshore racers out there that like this idea???
Old 09-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Top Banana;3214471]
Originally Posted by Top Banana
My wife and I are having dinner tonight with Dean Gibbs and his wife. Dean is the British team owner with the 52 foot Outerlimits that raced last weekend Around Long Island. We met for a short time today and he said that he already has texts and e-mails from other owners in Europe and the UK, that he feels they will be coming back next year with at least four teams, to get that trophy and bring it back to Europe.

The dinner was quite enlightening. The Brits are very serious about getting a real offshore world circuit going again. They were very impressed with Billy Frenz and his satellite beacons on each boat. They use a similar system but said this one was much better. They loved the location that Guy La Motta provided.

They loved the fact that this is so close to NYC and could be used by many potential sponsors, to really make an impact with their marketing promotions, and showcase their products to a major part of the US population and center of influence.

They in short would like to make this Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island Race as one of their races on the world circuit. The others would be, Cowes - Torquay and the London to Monte Carlo. They are unearthing many of the old trophies they have over there and will be using them for victories in various classes.

And don't forget, they are putting on the Around Britain Race in 2011.

We of course, would not have many competitors who would travel the world like that, but at least we would know that we are competiting agsinst the very best that Europe has to offer when they race here in the States.

For our own circuit, we would want to limit it, to no more than four races spread over a year. The New York race, one in the Great Lakes, we already have an offer to help with that one. One in California....hopefully we can work with a group out there. And last but not least, Florida.

Any offshore racers out there that like this idea???
Charlie I'm not a racer....yet...but love the idea and would love to have a venue such as the Don Aronow Long Island Memorial to be in down here in Florida. Thanks again for all you do for the sport.

Angel
Old 09-22-2010, 02:27 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the idea. I can't enter a race because of insurance problems.

By the way the easiest way to track the race boats would be
to have each racer install an AIS Class B transceiver. The cost
would be $500.00 to $1,200.00. Send me a PM and I can
give you some details on how we could use this to track
the racers.

Warren
Old 09-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

terrific read.. in my dreams I will be there next year in my old tub..

more importantly it brings to mind an old saying I tell myself often.

"obstacles are what you see when you take your eye off the goal"

bobbo
Old 09-22-2010, 10:12 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 136 Likes on 79 Posts

Congratulations, gentlemen!
In honor of the boat and crew that won this with a lot of heart.

FULL SIZE

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 09-22-2010, 10:19 PM
Z06
Registered

Very nice tribute jayboat!
Old 09-23-2010, 04:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jayboat
Congratulations, gentlemen!
In honor of the boat and crew that won this with a lot of heart.

FULL SIZE
So that is what you've been working on in your secret photo lab....Thanks I love it!
Old 09-23-2010, 05:33 AM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 79 Posts

Jay.....as usual, you stand above the rest with a classy move like this.

Thank you so much, for all you do for the offshore community.

Your the best!!!!
Old 09-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Registered

Wow Charlie, Sounds like you had a great time, even with the challenges and rough waters. It makes me a little envious to not have been there, but maybe another time and date.
Looking at some of the old photo's and results of that race from 1967, it sounds like you had similar conditions as did they then. Glad to here you are still in one piece.
Former Copilot Miami-Bimini 2008

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.