A tale of heros...today and yesterday

Notices

A tale of heros...today and yesterday

Old 09-25-2010, 12:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sonic30ss
I bet there will be next year!
If you trace the Sonic lineage back it is originally an Aronow design.
I did not know that. LOL is there ANY V hull built back then that WASN'T an Aronow design??(except for Bertram)
Old 09-25-2010, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really, guys, DA NEVER, EVER, drew a boat.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 211 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
Really, guys, DA NEVER, EVER, drew a boat.
Very true....what he did do was sketch or rather chicken scratch his ideas on paper .........and then bring the naval architectual talent together, to make those chicken scratches into something that could be built.

With Formula he used the famous Wynn Walters team and then for many of his later boats....the even more famous Harry Schoell and his brother.

Add to this, all the other talent that knew about engines, shafts, props, glass layups, and all the other pieces to the boat building puzzle. He put it all together and we have today what those people together..... produced.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:13 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how did Abraham do?
Old 09-26-2010, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Result for around Long Island attempt

Tommy Abraham/36 Mti Cat w/700 HP Mercs, attempt at the AROUND LONG ISLAND RECORD OF 3 hours and 6 minutes, set by Stu Hayim in 1989;

Started at 7:05 am at buoy “Gong #15, Long Island Sound, (Lloyd’s Neck), travelling toward NYC,

He made it to Atlantic Beach/Jones Inlet.(south shore Long Island)

He broke a driveshaft/yoke

He did 67 miles in 45 minutes and has 265 gallons of fuel left.

BF

www.nationalpowerboat.com

PS: There will be a “satellite” replay on Tommy’s attempt on the website.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:57 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Frenz
Tommy Abraham/36 Mti Cat w/700 HP Mercs, attempt at the AROUND LONG ISLAND RECORD OF 3 hours and 6 minutes, set by Stu Hayim in 1989;

Started at 7:05 am at buoy “Gong #15, Long Island Sound, (Lloyd’s Neck), travelling toward NYC,

He made it to Atlantic Beach/Jones Inlet.(south shore Long Island)

He broke a driveshaft/yoke

He did 67 miles in 45 minutes and has 265 gallons of fuel left.

BF

www.nationalpowerboat.com

PS: There will be a “satellite” replay on Tommy’s attempt on the website.
It's a LOT harder than it looks.........

This is a test of boats, engines, drives, rigging, and crew chiefs....oh yeah....your throttleman better not miss on re-entry either........

I hope this doesn't become a series of "attempts of the week".... This is meant to be a race where winners face the course on a pre set date, regardless of conditions.

Good luck to all.......next year......!

T2x
Old 09-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
I hope this doesn't become a series of "attempts of the week".... This is meant to be a race where winners face the course on a pre set date, regardless of conditions.

T2x
That was my first thought as well when I read there was going to be a 'record attemp'... especially a week after the "race".
If conditions are great and all the stars align, I'm sure the record wouldn't be all that difficult to beat by today's boats, but lets not say the race record is XYZ if it was set by someone picking and choosing conditions and dates... Set the date for the race and may the best team win!
Old 09-27-2010, 04:10 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
That was my first thought as well when I read there was going to be a 'record attemp'... especially a week after the "race".
If conditions are great and all the stars align, I'm sure the record wouldn't be all that difficult to beat by today's boats, but lets not say the race record is XYZ if it was set by someone picking and choosing conditions and dates... Set the date for the race and may the best team win!
Stuart's record is a valid one and I disagree that it can be broken easily. Especially considering the hardware that has attempted it recently and none have made it 1/3rd of the way. If every performance boat on the East coast is going to try this every couple of days, the record will quickly lose its luster and become simply something to do if you have a megaboat.

That having been said Bill Sirois still holds the race record at under 4 hours set over 40 years ago.......and nobody but Stu has touched that one either. In truth this course should be used for the race...on a specific date IMHO....Even LOTO doesn't have a timed course laid out 365 days of the year.

T2x
Old 09-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Charlie that is real impressive and congratulations BTW Who did the drives?? they need a mention here.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T2x
Stuart's record is a valid one and I disagree that it can be broken easily. Especially considering the hardware that has attempted it recently and none have made it 1/3rd of the way. If every performance boat on the East coast is going to try this every couple of days, the record will quickly lose its luster and become simply something to do if you have a megaboat.

That having been said Bill Sirois still holds the race record at under 4 hours set over 40 years ago.......and nobody but Stu has touched that one either. In truth this course should be used for the race...on a specific date IMHO....Even LOTO doesn't have a timed course laid out 365 days of the year.

T2x
You also got to remember that Stuart and Joey chose and waited for the perfect Aug day to do the run and set there own course and starting point.
IMHO it makes no sense to run a race like this on a weekend with the racers coming up the east river at the end of the run, it should be no later than 8am...too much traffic otherwise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.